PDA

View Full Version : I have a question for everyone??

Kelly27
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Hiya x I have a question and everyones opinion is welcome xx

There's a man in my street that has 5 Springers but they are kept in an outside kennel x he uses them for hunting xx

He said to me the other day whislt i was out walking my own 2 Springers that Springers shouldn't be kept has family pet dogs as they don't adapt and are better of working xx

As for my 2 Springers, they are both just family pets and have never been worked, 1 though is off gundog stock xx

Do you think that my neighbour is true in what he says or they good family dogs too xx both mine are good family pets xx

cockermom93
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Not at all!!! I think that any working dog is happy working but I think that most are adaptable enough to love doing the family/pet thng too. I think he is just being rude for some reason or another. I am sorry he has said this to you but I disagree with him. I do think working dogs in a family/pet situation should at least get to do fun stuff similar to what they would normally be doing, example, I have two Cockers who were as we all know bred to flush Woods Cock out of the woods for their humans to hunt. Well I take my two out to a big wooded area and just let them follow their noses. :D They love it and you can see why they were chosen to do what they do because they are in and out and up and down and under and above... you get the point. I think as long as they are stumulated physically and mentally they do great as house pets/family members. :p

elsasmom
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I had a wonderful Springer named Buford. He loved to hunt with my husband AND also loved to cuddle up on the couch, go to parties, ride in a canoe and go for non-hunting walks. He adapted perfectly to house life; I wouldn't personally keep a dog in a kennel 24-7 as my dogs' first job is to be my closest friend and that requires being where I am as much as possible.
A girlfriend of mine currently has a Springer who showed up at her house as a stray. He's appears to be gun shy and stays very close to her during hunting season. He's so excited about life and hiking in the woods. Sam loves to use his sniffer whether or not anyone shoots at the things he is smelling. He sleeps on a couch and lives his life as a pampered pet with 2 other dogs, 3 cats and 4 horses. He wants for nothing.
Perhaps this neighbor may just be feeling a bit uncomfortable about what he offers his dogs as far as companionship goes? :confused: Who knows? Just keep up the good life for your 2 Springers! The ones that I've known crave all the human affection they can get.

elsasmom
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I had a wonderful Springer named Buford. He loved to hunt with my husband AND also loved to cuddle up on the couch, go to parties, ride in a canoe and go for non-hunting walks. He adapted perfectly to house life; I wouldn't personally keep a dog in a kennel 24-7 as my dogs' first job is to be my closest friend and that requires being where I am as much as possible.
A girlfriend of mine currently has a Springer who showed up at her house as a stray. He's appears to be gun shy and stays very close to her during hunting season. He's so excited about life and hiking in the woods. Sam loves to use his sniffer whether or not anyone shoots at the things he is smelling. He sleeps on a couch and lives his life as a pampered pet with 2 other dogs, 3 cats and 4 horses. He wants for nothing.
Perhaps this neighbor may just be feeling a bit uncomfortable about what he offers his dogs as far as companionship goes? :confused: Who knows? Just keep up the good life for your 2 Springers! The ones that I've known crave all the human affection they can get.

CerbiesMom
12-02-2008, 09:29 PM
His springers probably couldnt adjust to indoor life with him, bc he probably doesn't put any effort into training them for anything other than hunting.

My Cerbie is a cattle dog/pointer mix, so he's got some of the bird dog personality traits along with the intensity and intelligence of the herding breeds.

I was walking him one day, and a man said to me "He's a beautiful dog, I used to have a purebred heeler, it's too bad you can't keep them inside".
I responded to him saying that he missed out on a great friend, bc my dog doesn't leave my side in the house, and that he's the most well-mannered dog I've ever had.

Some people are just raised like that and it's what they believe. THey don't ever question it, and that's how they'll always think about dogs. It makes me sad that they're missing out on that special freindship that we all have with our children.

hcromley
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
see this is what i was told when i got stoli that his breed is for hearding and that he will mae a horrible family dog and hate being inside. but he loves it as long as we give him things to do like pull a cart he just pulled my oldest on a sle the other day and thought it was great. plus i think he would rather b on the couch then outside anyday its all in how u train them

Kelly27
12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for everyones answers and that there are other people that have Springers like me that are just pets. I would change my Springers for anyone.
As for mine, well at the moment its been snowing in Central Scotland and they've been having a great time playing in the snow but nothing is more happier for them than an nice warm livingroom and comfy sofa to lye on!!

CerbiesMom
12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh, my aunt just got a springer/brittany? mix, and she's awesome! She's indoors with them, she's great with the kids, and the cat.

zorasdad
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I believe that "working/sporting" have high energy so you have to work hard to have pet/work dog. Iit is tought off duty police k9 should be kenneled not used as pet, I can tell you that my partner in the nypd was a fem gsd. On the job at home on vacation or in bed she is with me. talk about a bond!She would die for me but i would do the same for her.

BetterDog4U
12-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing... or he possibly feels that dogs are just for working, and not for pets!!!

I've run into several ppl that feel that way. I've also ran into several that only feel dogs are for show and not for pets.

This is very strange to me, but i can see were they are coming from as that is how they (the ppl) were raised. The dogs were treated like cattle or sheep.

Kelly27
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
oh well, thanks for everuyones coments, at least i'm not going to change my dogs for anyone, i am happy with the way they are and they are more than happy to be indoors with me, my partner and my son xx

Furbilator
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Some people have weird beliefs about dogs, my grandmother was one of them. When my parents went on vacation and left us kids at the mercy of my grandmother, I came home from school only to find my poor dog outside curled up beside the back door and shivering in -30C weather :mad: . My grandmother believed that dogs belonged outside. It was her farmer's wife mentality that I quickly straightened out. I told dear old grandmother that she would be outside in the snowbank if she ever did that again. Nobody puts my furbaby in a snowbank! LOL

LoveMyLabs
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I think most dogs should be able to do both. I can't see a dog being "just a working dog" with no quality family time afterwards. It seems unfair to the dog IMO.
A working dog can be just a pet, but it depends on the breed and how much exercise and stimulation the dog gets (in lieu of working).

Kelly27
12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
My springers have never been worked x they have always been a family pet and thats the way they will stay x Logan my oldest Springer (2 years old) x he loves his walks and his home comforts, he gets plenty of exercise, 1 hour walk in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 1 hour again at night x Logan is off gundog stock x
As for Mya, the youngest of the 2 x she is only 4 months old at the moment but she still has her fun time down the park x about 4 times a day (15mins at a time) x she loves being outside as does Logan x Mya is off show lines x But for now with the weather over here in Central Scotland, snow and below 0C x they are quite happy to be indoors longer than being outside xx Both off them love their home comforts as does my other 2 dogs x but they aren't springers xx

speedwayspringer
12-05-2008, 06:45 PM
This topic is right up my alley.... As for I have an all sporting breed dog house. I have 2 ESS and a GSP. all who are my house pets first and foremost and they also are working dogs.
Both my ESS are shown in the obeince/rally rings along with some hunting, as for my GSP puppy, mind you, He is a true working dog...he is shown on the weekend in conformation as well as training in the field for hunting.
I don't have to work "hard" at making them great house pets.
They do have lots of enregy and drive but NOT in the house, it only kicks in when it's time to "go to work" so to say.
both my girls earned their title in 3 straight show with high scores, good training Yes, but they love the work that they do and were bred to do.

Any dog can be a Great house dog as long as they have an outlet to relase thier energy at.
my breeder friends of both breeds keep their dogs in the house with them not in a kennel where they don't get all the attention that every dog should have and get.
So your neighbor is so wrong about ESS not being Great house pets, and both of mine are Field/bench lines.:D