PDA

View Full Version : Exercise induced diarrhea

Bess
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi, I'm new here, looks like a fantastic site with such helpful people.

I run with my kelpie, we do up to 20 miles at times, mostly on trails and he loves it. My problem is his poos. He does at least 3 poos while we're out. The first one or two are able to be picked up, but anything after that really needs a mop and bucket, it's just liquid. He's a healthy dog, on a decent diet, fed twice daily. I wonder if it's like the diarrhea human athletes get, and I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how to manage it. I don't like leaving poo on the ground so would love to sort this out.

Thanks

Bess

madhouse1972
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
most dogs i know do this my lot used to while being fed dog food LOL
you could take a flask of boiling water out with you to pour on the liquid poo it will disolve it :)

Jr_K9_Expert
12-14-2008, 01:06 AM
You could try giving the pooch some fiber to add some solidity to the stool, many have suggested using pumpkin to do the job.

Also it may be that your dog is drinking a large amount of water. Enough so that excess water remains in the stool even after the large intestine re-absorbs water.

The same thing 'sorta' happens to my pooch after he's relieved himself more than once or twice. Kudos to you for keeping up with your responsibilities:D

Monsterpuppy
12-14-2008, 02:54 AM
It happens a lot with flyball dogs, too.

My understanding is that it is exercise-induced diarhea, just like runners runs in humans, and not related to diet. If it's on grass or dirt, can you encourage him to go off the beaten path and kick enough dirt over it that it is absorbed? It might reduce the "ick" factor and prevent any smell or unpleasent surprise stepping in it or running a bicycle wheel through it. You may not want to feed him for several hours before the rigorous exercise. I only feed mine one meal, in the evening.

Bess
12-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. Guinness doesn't eat breakfast before he runs, so can't really feed him less. He doesn't like poo'ing in our own yard, so he can't empty out before he goes. Our local vet has mentioned fiber, I might try that, but otherwise, it's just the way it is :) .

Bess

Furbilator
12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Try an OTC fiber supplement like Metamucil (sp?) or FiberSure which will help with absorbing some of the intestinal water.

Jr_K9_Expert
12-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Yup, try that out it might help. Here is an excellent article about fiber, its good to be well informed on any descision regarding a change for your dog :D

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659+1661&aid=656

SchnauzkyLVR
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
sounds like he's healthy and normal..i don't run nearly THAT much b/c of my knee surgery but mine has less solid poop on teh 3rd try as well. just try more fiber, but if anything, he seems normal. let us know if anything changes! :)

Corinthian
11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Given the number of toilets that I see on your average 10K run, it seems to be pretty common. Me, and my dogs always run on empty stomachs with at a good 3 hours after eating. I always do a fake start to empty their bowels before the real run.