PDA

View Full Version : what sports are you interested in

dobetaztic
11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
hi all i thought iwould just ask what every one is interested in with their dogs as i have a large interest in all sports doggy and find that we dont get enough coverage for these types of sports and that only a few are shown or discussed out side the speciallity so many pet owners have never heard of them nevermind seen them. here in england the general public only get to see freestyle heal work to music, obedience, and agility and fly ball only when crufts is advertized. yet there are five or six behavioiural programmes on a week on one channel or another. yet if we egnigted intrest in owners about doggie sports they may find a channel to relieve bordem and behaviour problems that their dog has aqkuired through little or poor training.

i my self participate, compete and train others in obedience, ringcraft and heal work to music, i also train my owndogs and compete in agility, flyball and schutzhund. i have different dogs which do different sports because i found that each dog has its own preferences and abilities so they all dont enjoy the same sport just like our selves.

i found this out after have two obedience champions saracen and Archie and then my second doberman Lyka learnt very quick but at six months said no not interested and we just were not progeressing, i was introduced to schutzhund and tracking and working trials by a policeman. Lyka fell in love with the idea of find people who she could bark at and hang of their arms and she is now gained her kerung as well as her shutzhund 1,2, and three.

Lyric has brain dammage but has some bezzare behaviours that i have trained to be now produced on command which helped him controle his own bodily condition, this was done with clicker training and we now compete in freestyle heal work to music. all my dogs do flyball and all but lyric do agility he cant cos hefalls backwards when he climbs up things:eek:

i never push my sogs to do things they dont enjoy or ithey are injured we are a very happy family and have made lots of friends in our adventures.

ilovemywestie
12-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Me and Persy love Agility!

Persy & Amy,

Carol
02-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow dobe you are a busy person..into lots of active things with your dogs.
Good going!
If I had gotten Casey as a young dog I think I would have liked agility or flyball for her if she had been into that.
Persy and Amy you are busy as well.
I admire the dogs that excel at agility. It is great for dogs and families to be involved in activities where they get to socialize and have fun.
I will try as soon as all this darn snow starts to disappear, to find an activity suited to Casey my senior girl's interests and abilities. She sure would be a great therapy dog but I don't have a car so difficult to get around with her unless they decide to let her on the bus LOL
Good Luck to both of you with your beloved pets and their wonderful achievements.

FlyDogz
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
My dogs and I love flyball. We also compete in agility. In the past we've competed in obedience and working trials - which is great fun with a 10" Jack Russell!!!

However, our first love is flyball.

I have recently discovered the American (and growing on mainland Europe I believe) sport of Rally which sounds fascinating and I think would be a great addition in the UK!!!

Steph.

Cinnabar
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
We love agility. Cinnamon went to the NADAC Championships last year.

Agility & Flyball Frames (http://www.cinnabarframes.com)

Billings Agility (http://www.billingsagility.com)

May209
03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
My malamute loves to pull. She is alot of fun in the winter.. But in the summer she like to run along side my bike. Lots of fun.. We have tried agility and love that too just don't have the time right now with 4 active kids. We will get back to it someday.:D

toppers
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
My boxer used to run alongside my bike, she's stopped now as she's getting old! A gentle 3 mile hike is all she can manage now.:( She's 11 & half.

May209
03-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I guess we can't expect them to run forever.. We have to enjoy them while we can. I have one that can't run any more now she goes to the library on Saturdays and listens to kids read to her. She is very happy doing that now.:)

Carol
03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I now have adopted Jake, a 10 yr old Jack Russell/Beagle.
He is a ball of energy for his age. Loves to play fetch and loves his Kong and chews any chewee thing you give him.
He even gets Casey all excited about running and playing.
Because of the age, I likely won't get him into anything that requires prolonged activity but I certainly will make sure he gets to run as much as his 10 yr old legs can handle this Spring and Summer.

May209
03-16-2007, 01:04 PM
You know when you think about it as long as our dogs are with us they are happy doing most anything.:)

FlyDogz
03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
You know when you think about it as long as our dogs are with us they are happy doing most anything.:)

Funny you should say that..... I've just looked round and my 3 are all sprawled around behind me!!!!

Says it all.

Carol
03-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Yupp, when I am on the computer, in my kitchen, my tqo are sprawled right beside my chair. They just want to share our lives, no matter what we do.

People could learn a lot from them.

speedwayspringer
04-13-2007, 02:46 AM
I like doing obedience and rally with my girls..along with some field work to keep them sharp.

they too love to sprawl out where ever we are in the house...lol ...like my bed..good thing it's a king:D

Nathalie
05-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Both Cujo and Yogi are in flyball:D

Carol
05-02-2007, 04:11 AM
Active dogs that have a reason to be tired, are happy dogs.

Good for you!!!

shell
05-30-2007, 02:15 AM
My dogs love to come horseback riding with me. 'course, they're just as happy to come bike riding, rollerblading, hiking... :D

lovethatdogg
06-12-2007, 02:15 AM
My WEimeraner loves to swim. We take him to Tahoe and spooner to swim. HEy, a free ride.

lovethatdogg
06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Also, i actually just descovered he love soccer. I kickit and he runs after it and it looks like he kicks it, and he try's to bite it. Funny

hippymuso
08-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Not into sport at all, but very interesting reading about what your dogs can do.
Meg can round up sheep or cattle and work in the paddock, shed or yard. She has retired from farm work (since my partner shot through lol)they were his sheep
Now she works with the elderly. She sings, howls and barks on command and is very protective of her residents. As soon as she sees a wheelie walker she's straight over to see if its one of her charges.
She will go to various wards when sent by telling her the name of her favourite resident on that ward.
She can open doors but only by barking until one of the residents opens it for her.
She is an invaluable animal to me and I only wish I could have her cloned.
ITs amazing sometimes what she does, if a resident is upset or depressed she will go to that resident and lay her head on their lap, this works every time to cheer them up.

lovethatdogg
08-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Meg sounds wonderful. I am sure it took alot of time to teach her exactly what to do...? But i hope it was worth it, lol.
:D :p :) :D

janice
08-23-2007, 01:02 PM
hello we do obediance , ring craft , flyball and some agility but flyball is our favourite thing :)

madaboutcollies
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM
hi

dylan and willow started flt ball last week another training night to night ,dylan took to it straight away willow wasnt so sure ,she loved running over the jumps .couldnt get the hang of picking the ball up though ,mind you she is nervous of strangers ,it might be that .we will see

janice
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
keep up the good work we have a collie who trains with us she is nervouse of people she does'nt know she is now doing great just got to get her to take the ball from the box on her own ..

OzFozz
09-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Currently we don't do any competitive sports yet, but we do activiely train in and practice with both dogs: Agility, Flyball, Biking, Obedience, and we used to do some weight pulling with Oz before he lost his muscle mass.

CerbiesMom
10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
My boy runs wiht me when I bike. I would like to do agility with him; he's old enough now. Know of anywhere in the Houston area that does training. I have also thought about obedience and tracking for him, I just need to see what he likes.

littlespaniel
11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi there,

I am new to this site and have two Springer Spaniels and a very old Lab x Collie, we used to participate in agility but my old girl is 14 now, dont get me wrong she can still leap into the baack of te jeep and enjoys her walks and being out with the horses, she has just slowed herself down and quite right too!!

We have a ten month old springer ( male) who is in gun dog training at the moment and have just taken on yet another rescue Springer girl who is 16 weeks old and a bit young for anything other than puppy classes at the mo, however she will sit, wait, sit stay and is great at recalls to the whistle.

I would be interested to talk to anyone who loves working breeds and exchange tips XXX

Weesha1717
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, Kipper & Spunky love to hike. We go for several hour walks in the spring and summer. Spunky (Chi mix) loves to play ball. He will chase, bunt, kick a rubber ball around my moms backyard for hours. Kipper loves to run. He runs around my mom's yard with her Italian greyhounds. :)

johnanddoggies
12-06-2007, 08:07 AM
jethro elle and I love to snowboard well I love to snowboard they love to run behind. It takes a little training to teach them where to run but nothing like doing my favorite thing on earth with my best friends

k9mania
12-06-2007, 08:43 AM
If CA ever gets enough snow, the dogs and I hope to add snowshoeing to herding, flyball, agility, and hiking. We used to mountain bike when we lived in PA but too crowded and too much driving to get somewhere in CA where I live.

Mari
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Mari and DaVinci do fly ball. DaVinci also does obedience. Chalice I hope to do dock jumping next summer. She loves to swim will go out over 50ft to retrieve the ball.

k9mania
12-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Do you have a dock dog club by you? I tried my dog at it and she slid to the end of the dock and barked and barked. We don't have anything to practice on.

nikk
12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
Do you have a dock dog club by you? I tried my dog at it and she slid to the end of the dock and barked and barked. We don't have anything to practice on.

I wish my dogs would do Dock Dogs.
They'll jump in any water or mud-hole.
But will not jump off the dock at the lake.
I love watching the Labs and the Goldens out here by the lake, it is really cool to watch their natural abilities come through. The pits just can't contend with the sporting dogs. Oh well I know one thing their great at and that's giving kisses and slurps.:eek:

Tuckerdad
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I have thought about tracking and obedenice for my Beagle, but we don't have anywhere around here that does those things. The lady who did the obedenice class teaches agility also, and competes 2 of here dogs, not sure if a beagle is right for agility.

Mari
03-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Well With DaVinci I do obedience, flyball and dance. Chalice is going to start tracking in the spring. I tried WP with her but she didn't like it. She loves to swim so we are going to work on dock jumping this year. Mikado does nothing and now that he has kidney failure I won't make him do anything. Mari does obedience, flyball and dance.

Reddii
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I have 2 rat bag border collies and we are into frisbee/disc, flyball (with her team one has just won her division at the national championships!) and agility.

We were sheep herding for a while, but I can't practise any more than once a week and it's just too hard to do well with so little opportunity, so we have to stick with these. I keep telling myself we have to get back to obedience as well, but my heart just isn't in it and my girl HATES it, although she goes OK, so we stick to the active stuff.

REWOPJMP
04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
With Graycee I do, obedience, rally, agility. My trainer is getting a flyball box. That will be a challenge for graycee, she doesn't really like tennis balls.
Doc diving sounds like fun but there's nothing around here like that. We're working on our good citizenship cert., graycee has a bit of an attitude so it's taking a while but we are making great progress. She's happiest in agility so that will be our main objective:) :D

starry8740
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I always wanted star to go cheer up the elderly but All the time, they turn him down they said hes gentle but to "energetic" for what they want. To preppy. Which is a complament for him being 13 years of age.

I love sled racing, I think that would be hard to do , but I enjoy watching it and the dogs that pull the sleds are my favorite breed.

Furbilator
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I would love to do more field retreiver training and actually expose Cassie to real hunting, however I don't hunt (couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door I'm afraid). So I just train with retreiving plugs (dummies) at our retreiver club when ever I get a chance. Of course she loves swimming and hiking with me so we make that our 'sport' for the most part.

zorasdad
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Zora loves carting we go through town at least 2x a week. She also loves hiking. She has sadle bags and carries supplies. We are volenteers for fire co. and she carries ems bags also.

LoopyLou
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Harry competes at agility and isn't the fastest dog in the world but he enjoys it which is the main thing. Lou is loving her agility training but at 11 months is still to young to compete. We are opening a flyball club soon which Im sure Lou is going to love. Oh & they both like HTM as well :)

Warwickshire_Flyball
08-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Ours both love flyball, Toby has fun at agility too but doesn't compete and Greg is yet to start agility. The other thing Toby seems to adore is Dash'n'Splash - he has done a couple of great training days and competitions with the guys from MDS. He gets so excited when he sees Gwain and the pool, he is just mad for it. I think one of his highlights was Paws in the Park last year where he got to compete at flyball and also Dash and Splash, and as it was so hot they let him cool off in the pool between his flyball runs!

zorasdad
08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a question, what is ring craft?

starry8740
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't do sports with my dog, he wont even chase after a ball lol! I would someday in my life time to dog sled racing! But, I hate snow, I hate the cold...I doubt I could ever do it lol unless it was sand sledding on some tropical island :P

6dogmom
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I am working on the weight pull with Ty, they don't have many events through the summer, it's tooo hot. When it start to cool hopefully we will be ready.
I would love to do that dock jumping thing with mine but I can't find it. I think that would be fun.

gsdmama
08-28-2008, 11:05 PM
I want to get Joey and Elsa involved in something, but they being Schutzhund trained. They both love to do the scent trailing. Elsa loves the bite work more that Joey, he is coming around though.

Joey 3 years old adopted 5/9/2006
Elsa 11 months old born 9/7/2007

dobetaztic
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
all mine love the bite work but faithexcells in tracking and obedience but i cant get her to bite yet so may try something else

ringcraft is a class for people to take their dogs to train for showing and get used to be going over by judges and moving and socializing with other dogs

mybestdogkeelie
09-03-2008, 03:03 AM
We do agility!!

dogsrme
09-03-2008, 03:12 AM
I play football and baseball in school. Aside of that, I like to watch Bull riding, Football, Nascar, Baseball, Wrestling

----------------
Now playing: Rascal Flatts - Secret Smile (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/rascal+flatts/track/secret+smile)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

PudelGrl
09-03-2008, 05:41 AM
I've done some conformation with both my kids. I did some junior handling with Gidget and Bo I of course showed and finished.

Right now, I like to dabble in obedience and agility when I can. I like to do something mentally stimulating with my dogs at least a couple times a week because they are much happier with work to do in their life. I haven't been able to get them up to a competitive level, we do it mainly for fun (Bo gets major Zoomies when we do agility), but I keep thinking maybe I can take it more seriously when I've graduated.

For non-competitive sports, both the poos are excellent jogging partners. Bo is also a great little swimmer.

caninejan
09-15-2008, 12:34 AM
I have Bubba in obedience right now, and recently joined a newly-formed Schutzhund club in the area. Bubba starts bite work at the end of October. He really likes agility, but isn't fast enough for competition.

Shara
09-15-2008, 03:00 AM
I play football and baseball in school. Aside of that, I like to watch Bull riding, Football, Nascar, Baseball, Wrestling

----------------
Now playing: Rascal Flatts - Secret Smile (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/rascal+flatts/track/secret+smile)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

I think this thread was for doggie sports:)

Anyways.

I am trying to get into flyball. Possibly agility...I dont know how much time I will have...I am doing obedience training now....

OH and Tigger loves Frisbee!!!

I am also interested in Dock Dogs!!! Oh my...the only thing I have left off is weight pulling?

My #1 consern is obedience though!

REWOPJMP
09-22-2008, 02:21 PM
We do rally, agility and obedience. We love agility, have shown in rally once so far. Mostly we love to swim and run in the mudd

schutzhund
09-26-2008, 11:17 AM
enjoy working schutzhund with my dog. He enjoys all phrases, makes it easier to train.

caninejan
09-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Welcome to K9, Schutzhund!