PDA

View Full Version : dewclaw removal

JessicaR
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
This was being discussed on another forum;

Is removing the front dewclaws causing early arthritis in dogs? What are your thoughts??
http://jandemellobordercollie.com/DewClaws.htm

Momto3
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Interesting subject for sure. One of my neighbors had a golden retriever with arthritus in her front legs. None of my previous cockers had that problem though. Always the hips.

Furbilator
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
The article made a very wide and sweeping assumption on the supposed 'benefits' of the dew claw, IMO. I don't see the connection between having dew claws = no arthritis or removing dew claws = arthritis. There are several factors not taken into consideration:
1. Dog's breeding and medical history
2. Dog's conditioning, intensity or frequency of competition play a factor
3. Dog's diet (high in ______ low in _______)
4. The overall effect of repetitive stress activities like agility on the joints
5. Do some dog breeds that are better at agility, compete more frequently, have more injuries, etc. have an increased tendency for arthritis or joint health issues?
6. Lastly and more importantly, the supposed use of the dew claw is questionable as I don't really see the stabilizing influence in a dogs gate that was suggested in the article. It would be interesting to see how they studied the dog's use of this appendage.

JessicaR
12-03-2009, 04:13 PM
see thats what I was wondering, if it was more the fact that competing and training in agility puts extra stress on the toes whether or not the dewclaw is present. I have heard some agility clubs are going with non slated a-frames because the slats cause the dogs toes to spread which could in turn cause injuries to that area. I was wondering how the dewclaws might affect the herding dog though? do the dewclaws help with the quick turns they make while herding? Whether the article true or not it is something interesting to think about.