PDA

View Full Version : Good working dog foods?

puggie_momma
10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Hello! I do not own a working dog but I have a pug that since giving birth is a little underweight and it was suggested to me to feed her a working dog diet to raise her calorie intake. Can someone recommend a good working dog food?

BetterDog4U
10-23-2011, 01:39 AM
I use Native brand - Level #2. Its 26: 16 and it doesn't have a lot of fillers in it. Patchs loves it and it gives her a lot of energy

Labman
10-23-2011, 03:25 AM
I wonder how much difference they are from puppy chows. You did have her on a puppy chow? Would she eat more of it if you offered?

Does she really need to gain weight, http://www.longliveyourdog.com/twoplus/RateYourDog.aspx

JessicaR
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
New moms always look terrible after having pups. It took Belle 4 months after weaning to get back to her good looking self at least weight wise, be happy you dont have a long coated breed they look horrible short haired! :p I would just feed her what you normally fed before she had the puppies just add a little more if needed or add some canned food. She will get the weight back soon enough, just be sure to moniter her weight because once they start to gain it is easy for them to gain too much.

puggie_momma
10-23-2011, 08:28 PM
New moms always look terrible after having pups. It took Belle 4 months after weaning to get back to her good looking self at least weight wise, be happy you dont have a long coated breed they look horrible short haired! :p I would just feed her what you normally fed before she had the puppies just add a little more if needed or add some canned food. She will get the weight back soon enough, just be sure to moniter her weight because once they start to gain it is easy for them to gain too much.

Thank you, I have been monitoring her weight very closely because she just seems so so thin, she is gaining some and looking a lot better. It's very easy for a pug to become over weight also so I monitor all my babies weight very close, I've just never seen a female look as thin as she did after birth. I've been to the vet and had her check and she is clear of everything so just bulk her up has been the advise, thank you for your much appreciated opinion :)