PDA

View Full Version : Career in Canine Behaviour Psycholoy

Norma_Jean
09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Iím planning to study Canine Behaviour Psychology this year in the UK and I want to know if anybody in the UK has actually already studied this course in the UK. I would also like to know after completion of studying this course has anyone managed to find employment after wards. I would also like to know if it was easy to find employment as a Canine Behaviour Psychologist and which agencies/job sites do you recommend in the future in finding employment working as a Canine Behaviour Psychologist

Iím interested in finding out if there much of an opportunity employment here in the UK or abroad for Canine Behaviour Psychologist after successful completion of studying the course?

I hope to get an answer from those K9 lovers who is also interested in Canine Behaviour.:)

Thank you!:)

k9mania
09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
:cool: Norma Jean in the US it is becoming very popular. I can't say for the UK. I believe that the empty nesters that have dogs are spending much money on services such as that. Of course it would take time to build up a cllentele but is much needed. Good Luck.

Norma_Jean
09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the reply!

dobetaztic
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
hi normajean, i have a degree in animal behaviour and training and a masters in canine behaviour and training, all done in the uk at universities. i was a veterinary nurse and then trained and practised as a registered nurse for 12 years but my first love was animals and after a bad experience with a so called behaviourist i gave nursing up and studied full time, work after the degree is not easy as this is a growing occupation and there are not many companies out there. how ever i took the bold step and whent solo and run a little business that sustains my self and my six dogs. i have a wonderful time as i am out all the time with my dogs as well as others, i have several that i use as stooges to help owners practice controle with their dog around dogs that will not react if they bark. i have a steady growing clientel and now several vets in my city refer their behaviour problem pets to me including other species such as cats and reptiles but mostly dogs.

i am also a member of a couple of organisations like the pet dog trainers association and animal behaviourists associastion which you can join as an associate while you are training they are a valuable asset as they inspect your practices, provide courses and will help if you have difficult cases.

i found that trying to gain knowledge and experience from local established behaviourist and trainers is very difficult as several are un willing to share or i just do not like their training method. good luck in your carear and just ask if you need any help. i have been graduated 5 years now and would never go back to nursing i love my life now i run my own hours and time and i love seeing others making improvements with their family pet and getting the best out of their relationships.:D :D

Norma_Jean
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Thank you very much for the useful info. No doubt this will come in handy. This forum has been just the right forum that I have been searching for as I've been trying to find out how populary it is K9 Behaviour is in the UK.

I've had some really brilliant responses from this forum and other K9 forum which I have been registered with. Anyway thank you once again for the really useful information.:D

Norma_Jean:)