PDA

View Full Version : obedience class

REWOPJMP
01-22-2008, 01:15 AM
We just came from a new obedience class. Not your hum drum heel, sit, stay, she's very versatile. Not only will you learn the basics but she also does a little agility, rally, and flyball. She works with the dog so it wont spook to easy, example like when you open an umbrella, she brings her cat to class and teaches the dogs to respect them, she has the most amazing cats. She helps you with anything you want. We worked with keeping my dog calm when cutting her nails, she was great. Last time I tried, Graycee went crazy. We're going to work with wheelchairs, bikes, rollerblades, whatever and by the end she'll have her canine good citizen certificate. We wont be bored and it will keep Grayee happy and healthy. I'll get to see what she really likes, I'm hoping it's agility I'ld like to persue that. Maybe we'll do everything it was so much fun.:D

2dogscrzy4ball
01-22-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm so glad you and Graycee had a good experience and hopefully you'll be on Animal Planet doing agility!:D No really it's so much fun and talk about loosing weight, all that running great! That would be a good idea on loosing weight, get people together w/their dogs and do agility! :p

k9mania
01-22-2008, 04:43 AM
Good to hear you are getting that kind of class. That is how I teach my classes using play to get the owner and dog bonded and learn the commands in a fun environment. You are getting a mixture of socialization and obedience. For those not going on to do obedience, a on command sit whether the butt is a little over to the right or left is good enough. I find that the equipement helps get the people to see the possibilities in training and how much fun their dog has pleasing them. Have fun and keep us posted.

dogsingreen
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
As a trainer I find too that play is a wonderful way to get both dog and parent going. So huzzah for you ! I wish I could use a little more of it for my in-store training. You will get to exercise the mind and the body, which I feel is the most beneficial.

luvsdogs
01-28-2008, 02:31 AM
My obedience club changed from boring heel, sit, turn to having fun with lifes experiences. Everyone complements us on the classes.

Tuckerdad
03-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I took my Beagle thru obedenice school, we just did the basic stuff, the instructor also does agility training too.

Mari
03-09-2008, 04:22 PM
That sounds like a great class. My obedience class is the old boring method but DaVinci is so younge that he doesn't need all those distraction just yet. I do use his obedience in dance tho and he does flyball also.

REWOPJMP
03-13-2008, 12:35 AM
:) :) my trainer ordered a flyball box. i can't wait for that. graycee doesn't really like to fetch she just waits for her brother to get it then takes it from him. classes are going great and she's starting another one so we can go twice a week. i'm going to need a second job!!!!!!!!

ann_hawes
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
:) :) my trainer ordered a flyball box. i can't wait for that. graycee doesn't really like to fetch she just waits for her brother to get it then takes it from him. classes are going great and she's starting another one so we can go twice a week. i'm going to need a second job!!!!!!!!
LOL! I once had a Rott/Mastiff mix that did that. He wasn't even discreet about it. He'd stand maybe 10 feet away from me, let the other dogs run for the ball, then take it away from them as they approached me and wanted to be credited for the retrieve.

Mari
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
OMG Ann that is funny. Poor DaVinci doesn't stand a chance at playing fetch when Chalice is out she is so fast and catches the ball in her mouth alot. But if my son throws the ball and Chalice can't find it DaVinci usually does.

REWOPJMP
03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Neither one of my dogs can catch a ball. Hondo tries to catch with his feet, he's such a big gumba it's hysterical. He does love to fetch though, especially in the water. :) Graycee mostly likes being a DIVA and a flirt. Mostly they just like to run like crazy. That's where I get my exercise in.