PDA

View Full Version : carting and the dogs who love it!

zorasdad
07-06-2008, 02:53 PM
1781This is Zora pulling cart. She stops for photos, what a ham!

zorasdad
07-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I started Zora with saddle bags. We did trails and back backing, I realized she had a different attitude, she was proud and happy. I built the cart read all i could find on carting. There are many sites to be found on carting and carts. We now pull the cart down the main st of town Zora walks proud and prances when she sees another dog or people, but she'll stop if camaras come out! Loves the limelight!

ann_hawes
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I think this is awesome! I actually priced carts one time (no way I'd be able to figure out how to build one) and then never checked into it any further.
A couple of my dogs have done some weight pulling, and I did find a harness so they could pull a sled for the grandkids, but mostly they want to ride and have ME pull it.

zorasdad
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
There is a homemade cart plan on line. If i can find it ill post it. mine is a varation of the plan its pvc pipe frame and bike tires i spent $30 on parts and had some. the wood box was lumber i got from const sites took a mth to get wood. But the frame worked to start. Your rotties would love it! Oh by the way look great and think you are too for giving them a loved home!!

zorasdad
07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
The web site is the great pyrenees libarary. Sorry i cant find link. It was not hard to make. Pets werehouse.com has an inexpensive harness. I can possablely locate a site that has vidios on how to hook up dog and get started.

ann_hawes
07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
send whatever you can find. I'm going to start checking into this again!:D

dobetaztic
07-07-2008, 12:10 AM
great photos i love seeing dogs doing something they enjoy the only time i see dogs pulling carts here is in a show as our english laws ban dogs pulling carts on public byways :confused: i could understand if they were being worked but it covers everything that is why it is difficult to train huskies here for sledging you have to find private land.

zorasdad
07-07-2008, 02:37 AM
www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/carting/pvccart.htmwww.ncanewfs.org/working/draft/pages/dtvideo.html This is the training videos for carting the dogs are newfies but does not matter. These are the best i found and i looked for days!The other is the link for the cart. West marine sells a cart with one handle that can be modified with braces

zorasdad
07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
www.romanreign.com Here is a site that has a lot of various carting info and equiptment. The cart is section harnessing and hitching looks much like the cart a west marine. You would need to little modification.

k9mania
07-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I have been pricing dog sulkies to have my 3 youngest pull and get exercise. I am also looking at scooters. They have scooter clubs in a lot of states.

zorasdad
07-08-2008, 01:33 AM
I tried to find site with sulkies but cant find it its out there somewhere!

puppyluv65
07-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Beautiful picture, 6dogmom introduced me to the site, she spks very highly of you your dogs are beautiful I got one of sixes baby, he is huge!!! like a little tank.
hee hee
sincerely,
puppyluv65

6dogmom
07-15-2008, 03:56 AM
I love your pull carts, mine pull the bike and hopefully my male can do weight pull in the future, I am working on his training with the harness.

zorasdad
08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Yesterday Zora and I worked on Right and Left turns. She did good. left she has down pat, made a rew mistakes with the right. Mind you we cart on the main st that runs thru town. I hope one day soon shell be ready for a riding cart. Mo had his first time on cart did 50 ft and stopped but he did ok for first time

caninejan
09-15-2008, 12:22 AM
I want to get Bubba into carting, but I want to wait till he's at least 2 years old. When we go for walks, I've been teaching him "right" and "left" and he's picking that up pretty well. He knows "whoa" and "stop". I was told to buy a book called "Travel at the Speed of Dog" by Darlette Ratschan. Has anyone read this book, and if so, was it helpful?
Bubba is 11 months old and currently in obedience training. We hope to go for his CGC by the end of the year. He will begin protection training at the end of October, also.