PDA

View Full Version : working lurchers

joanne37
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
hi everyone. i have a three year old rescue lurcher who is a much loved and very spoilt pet. i walk him with two other lurchers, who, although they are pets, are used for lamping. they really enjoy this and im sometimes made to feel like a bad lurcher owner for not wanting my dog to do this sort of thing. we have a pet rabbit that my dog gets on well with and im often accused of making my dog go against his nature in letting him have a rabbit pal. does anyone else think that stopping a lurcher following its natural urges is wrong? although iv always loved any kind of running dog, i now feel like im doing the wrong thing and im a bit worried. i would really appreciate any answers. thanks x

lucysnewmum
09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
its up to you what you want your pet to do and if you are not comfortable with the idea of lamping and chasing rabbits then thats ok. just because your friends dogs do this activity doesnt mean every lurcher in the land has to.

joanne37
09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
thats what i thought i only take him with the other lurchers as my staffy crosses cant keep up, but its now getting to the pouint that i dont enjoy our walks with the other dogs, even though i adore them. i didnt realise there were lurcher politics!! think it will be just murphy and the slow staffys in the future x

lucysnewmum
09-10-2008, 12:07 AM
hehe...can just picture staffys trying to keep up with lurchers. dont be phased by your friends. enjoy your dogs the way you want to

huntingman
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
hi, im new here, i have worked lurchers for a number of years its not at all bad that you dont want to work your dog, you do with your pet what works for you both,
its still getting exercise so it makes no odds its not going out chasing rabbits...
just dont listen to whom ever is saying its not right...:)

6dogmom
09-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I think all dogs are different. If you feel that your dog is ok with having a bunny friend than so be it.

dobetaztic
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
i think it is good on you lurchers dont have to chase and kill and it is great that your pup likes your rabbit it is in no way bad for him not to chase rabbits in fact it makes him a more sociable dog that you cantrust around other animalsincluding small dogs and cats so dont let them make you feel bad. lurchers and greyhounds will run if they wish even if they dont have anything to chase and it is not you stoping is natural instinct he just does not have as higher chase/preditory urge in him as the other lurchers.