PDA

View Full Version : Gene found related to canine collapse-lab owners

k9mania
09-30-2008, 07:35 AM
U of M identifies gene linked to collapse of dogs

Associated Press
Last update: September 28, 2008 - 1:33 PM

This is big news for Lab owners... Responsible breeders will be able to virtually eliminate the possibility of EIC in their litters. This is going to be huge for gundog read more (http://www.startribune.com/local/29840594.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU#) owners such as I. Of course, backyard breeders & puppy mills will neither have their dogs tested or care...
[/URL]

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota researchers have identified a mutant gene that's linked to the collapse of dogs during intense exercise and excitement from activities such as hunting.
Exercise Induced Collapse affects an estimated 3 percent to 5 percent of Labrador retrievers.
The symptoms include wobbliness and eventual collapse of the rear legs. Sometimes the loss of muscle control spreads to the front legs. It causes death in rare cases, but most dogs recover quickly.
A university study released this month details the identification of a mutant gene in Labradors that's strongly associated with EIC. It's the first time a naturally occurring mutation of this particular gene, known as dynamin 1, has been identified in a mammal, lead author and veterinarian Ned Patterson said.

see rest of article:
[url]http://www.startribune.com/local/29840594.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU (http://www.startribune.com/local/29840594.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU#)

Furbilator
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks K9 - I am wondering if Cassie doesn't have that as she has had a couple of collapses in the past which I attributed at the time to overheating because she was panting heavily. Both times it was during the summer and the temperature was nice but not too warm (~22oC) and she recovered quickly. I will discuss this with the vet.

Thanks,
Furbs

Shara
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow I have never heard of this before...learn something new everyday...never knew about collapsing in labs...wow...

SchnauzkyLVR
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
very interesting. i'll fwd this to my friend who has a lab. thanks for sharing with us!

it's amazing how much science has advanced!

Labman
11-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Is this something new? I though I had been seeing references to EIC testing for some time.

ann_hawes
11-24-2009, 10:15 PM
The test has been available for awhile, but many people, even Lab owners, don't know about it. Good information.

rannalabs
12-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Yes, the EIC test has been around for a bit of time. Like Ann said, some still don't know about it...HOWEVER...from where I sit, I am sad to report that many KNOW (Oh yes, they know very well about it) but are still NOT testing ! They claim the test is not 100% (meaning not ALL Carriers/Affected are actually Carriers or Affected but actually CLEARs or Carriers) , which I think is true, but they seem to think it means they shouldn't (or don't have to) test. I disagree, but what can you do !? I have already started testing and so did the breeder of my Bella girl. Her sire is clear and I tested Rocky (who is also clear). Bella can't be affected, but can be a carrier or clear. She was bred to an EIC clear Stud, so I didn't feel the need to test her then (since I knew she isn't affected due to her sire being a Clear).

A place to research Labs (although not all) that have been tested, is Labradata. I know quite a few have their Labs listed there. OFFA also accepts U of M tests, but many, like me, used DDC (which OFFA does not accept at this time).

ann_hawes
12-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Most breeders probably know of it, but many puppy buyers don't. And you're right, many people that breed will not do the testing even with the knowledge. They're irresponsible at best. They're not going to do anything that will cut into their profits because they're using their dog(s) as an income.

It would be great if they could develop a protocol for needed testing for each breed and require it before allowing people to breed their dogs.
EIC is a problem that would likely show up if breeders were doing field trials on their dogs before breeding, but many don't do that either.