Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments » Listerine for hotspots

Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Question Listerine for hotspots

Dog lovers rave about Listerine remedy for hot spots

By JOE GRAEDON and TERESA GRAEDON, Ph.D.

Associated Press

The solution of equal parts Listerine, baby oil and water for dogs' hot spots is the most fantastic remedy I've read about in a long time! The minute my dogs start "worrying" a spot, I get out my spray bottle, spray the area thoroughly, massage the solution into their skin and the problem stops immediately. No more hot spots that involve trips to the vet.
Several years ago, we heard from a radio listener that his veterinarian had suggested Listerine and baby oil for his Dobermans and his horses. It worked for them, so he tried it on his own scalp and found it banished dandruff. We're glad you found this combo helpful.
One possible explanation is that Listerine contains herbal oils (thymol, eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate) that may have anti-fungal activity.
I've had extreme chronic pain in my lower back, pelvis, hips and legs for nearly four years. Lying flat was agony, so I had to sleep propped up on a love seat.
I went to many doctor who said there was nothing wrong with me. Then I found a rheumatologist who checked my vitamin D and found it was extremely low.
I've been taking 1,600 IUs of vitamin D a day and have been feeling much better and happier. At this rate, I think I'll be about back to normal in six months. It's terrible that anyone should suffer for so long from this. If in doubt, get your vitamin D checked!
Vitamin D deficiency is common and is often underestimated as a cause of chronic pain. Low levels of this vitamin can contribute to arthritis, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and high blood pressure. In a high-tech society where most people work indoors and wear sunscreen whenever they are outside, vitamin D insufficiency may be far more common than most doctors suspect.
We discussed this topic in depth on our radio show with two leading vitamin D experts, James Dowd, M.D., and Michael Holick, Ph.D., M.D. They provide a detailed discussion of testing and treating vitamin D deficiency. Anyone who would like to listen to our hour-long conversation with these scientists can order a CD by sending $16 to: Graedons' People's Pharmacy, Dept. CD-672, P.O. Box 52027, Durham, NC

See rest of the article at:

http://www.bradenton.com/health/story/583169.html
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
molliesmum
Been Around A While

I am going to try this with Moll. It is fast approaching the time of year when her allergies kick in. Thanks

Maria. x
molliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Thank you, I am going to call my sister right away, she has chronic back pain and the doctors say she is fine. I will tell her to get it checked.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

We've used a listerine mixture on rain rot on the horses and it works. I never thought of using it on dogs.
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Shells_k
Been Around A While

ooohh!! Maybe I'll have to try that on Sugar.
Try as we might, we have not seen full hair on Sugars back legs since she was 1 years old. Everytime we do a diet elimination and fins something she's NOT allergic too, she eventually developes an allergy to it. Poor girl is so puffy with her wild curly hair, all the way to the top of her back legs and then it stops.
I just started the dogs on Natural Balance's Vegetarian Formula for allergies, and will see how that works for a month before I try the Listerine so I can see if the food works or not first.
Thanks for posting the article K9!

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
molliesmum
Been Around A While

My hubby has tried this on his painful elbow. He really believes it's working.

Maria. x
molliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
sandyb
Been Around A While

I've just tried this over the last 2 days and the itching has stopped and the redness is gone. I'll certainly be using it again next time. Thanks K9mania for the info.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #8
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

Listerine is also good against mosquitoes and flies. Put it in a spray bottle and spray your skin for mosquitoes. Where we live people have horses and livestock and farm animals. Our next door neighbors were having a party. Their neighbors to the other side of them have farm animals. so they have a lot of flies. The flies were about to ruin their outside party. I had just read about Listerine to keep mosquitoes away. I told my neighbor that maybe we should try it for the flies. We put the Listerine in a spray bottle and sprayed the table and cooking area. It got rid of the flies. The guests sprayed it on their skin too. The party was successful, thanks to the Listerine. Also about the Vitamin D my Dr just started having me take it for my joint and back aches. It is really helping.
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

oh wow! very intersting and great info to keep on hand!

you always seem to post really great articles! thanks!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments