Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes » Are You Gettin Ready?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
What about a mix of broc, cawliflower and baby carrots. We always enjoy that on a holiday.
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #22
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
.... But I'm looking for a different side veggie dish than the standard carrots and peas...any suggestions.
A few suggestions:

Since you are already doing roast Chicken with the trimmings ....

Triditional Sides would be: (in "my favorite" order)

1). Mushroom & Green Bean Caserole
2). Oven Baked Scalloped Corn
3). Baked Acorn or Butternut Squash w/ black pepper butter
4). Glazed Sweet potatos w/ marshmellow topping

BUT: I did a new side dish last year and it got "rave" reviews.

Ingredients:
* 1 lbs Fresh or canned Whole Green Beans (drained if canned) resurve liquid
* 2 slices of smoked bacon (diced fine)
* 1 small onion or shallot (jullian style cut {long thin strips})
* 1/2 cup cranberry sauce or jelly (the canned stuff is fine if you dont have the time to cook them from scratch)
* 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (less of this if you dont want it too hot)
* 1 clove fresh garlic (diced fine)
* salt to taste
* course black pepper to taste

Directions:
Render bacon in a medium hot skillet, cook until bacon is medium to medium crisp .... remove bacon to a paper towl and drain.

With just a small amount of bacon grease in the bottom of the pan, place the onions in the pan and saute until onions are soft and just begining to take on color. Add garlic and the pepper flakes. Saute about 2-3 minutes then add cranberry sauce/jelly. When jelly is combined (melted in), replace bacon and add green beans. If needed, you can add a bit of the bean liquid back into the pan to help thin mixture slightly. (I actually use white wine for more flavor). Salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat and cover. Allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes. The beans should be firm and not overcooked. This dish should be served hot and the sauce should "just" coat the beans and bacon.

NOTE: The sauce should NOT look like gravy. It should be the consistancy of a vinigerette.

This dish takes 15-20 minutes start to finish. It only takes about 3 minutes to eat it!!!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #23
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
[quote=Furbilator;59622 But I'm looking for a different side veggie dish than the standard carrots and peas...any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

roast mixed vegetables instead of the normal boiled carrots and peas...delicious. i often roast butternut squash, challots, garlic, courgettes, and parsnips in a little olive oil with my roast bird.

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #24
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
oops

sorry...forgot to say thanks for the pumpkin pie suggestions....am not sure what if i can get the pastry here but have an idea that i may use brandy snap instead...i'll let you know how it turns out.

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #25
gsdmama
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shells_k View Post
Asparagus!! It goes well with basically any meat and is fantastic. Jewel has it on sale till Saturday here so I am going to pick some up. For sweetest day my hubby and I are going to have scallops wrapped on bacon cooked on the grill, with the Asparagus cooked on the grill also. YUMMY!
i love asparagus. what i do is i pour olive oil and lemon juice. then i sprinkle garlic powder if you have fresh i use that instead. seasoned salt and black pepper and toss then i let i marinate at least 20 mins or more if possible. then i grill them on the bbq.

yum oh

it's mine! NO it's mine! MOOOOOOOOOOM!
who says you have to have kids when you have dogs fighting over their toys!
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Just a tidbit on pumpkin pie, I have tried to make pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin not from the can, and you cannot honestly taste any diffrence...I thought you would be able to but you cant AND its a real pain to cut up and bake a pumpkin lol so dont feel bad for using canned pumpkin!

It was a fun experience trying though...I had so much pumpkin everywhere in pots boiling.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
gsdmama
Been Around A While

lol i have done that to can is best to avoid the mess.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #28
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I have decided to try a stuffed zucchini recipe that I saw on the Food Network. I may even try a practise run tonight just to work the kinks out. I'll let you know how it turns out.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #29
gsdmama
Been Around A While

YUM OH. zucchini.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 AM   #30
woofitz
Been Around A While

Cooking...?

Well, I f I want something besides cold cuts, I have no choice[i live alone] or order out lol and BAKING????? ABSOLUTLY NOT! I like to eat other ppls bakery
grrrrrrrrqwoof arf arf woooof bowwww!!
woofitz is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes