Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes » Cooking

Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry8740 View Post
BTW i reread the directions on the box and it said microwave oven. What the heck is a microwave oven?!? Do they mean do half of the cooking in the microwave and the other have in the oven?
The microwave "oven" is a microwave. No, you don't cook half in the oven and half in the microwave. They must have screwed up on the directions? What does it say for Oven and what does it say for Microwave? I'm guessing they have them too close together or they just didn't print them out right. What does a kid have to do to eat these days????

BTW, what does confuse me is when they throw in "Conventional Oven". I am not sure what that is and I am certain I don't have one!
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #12
starry8740
Been Around A While

Send a message via ICQ to starry8740
No they had the directions on opposite ends of the box. I am good at reading and I didn't mess it up. on the left it said OVEN and on the right it said Microwave + Oven.

Gah, this is confusing! I declare if I ever get rich im gonna hire a maid to do my cooking!
~Star my eskie/golden mix~

www.youtube.com/starry8740 &
www.youtube.com/friends4life8740
Daniel & Carrie + Star = Forever

When one door closes another WILL open, and its usually something better.
starry8740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #13
BichonFowner
Been Around A While

Well just hang in there until your mom comes home with those tacos!
BichonFowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
If you have a chance to go to the bookstore, see if you cand find a book called "The Rookie Cook". It shows you everything from using the stuff in your kitchen, to basic cooking, like how to make an egg, properly cook meat etc...

My mom was good in starting me cooking at a pretty young age, but a lot of my friends wearnt so lucky. They went to uni and they were clueless. Needless to say I gave a lot of these out at Christmas in first year and they were greatly appriciated!
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
NoodlezxMama
Been Around A While

Maybe her mom doesn't want her using the oven while she's not home? That could be why she hasn't been taught.. You can't preheat a Microwave, but you can preheat those Toaster Oven things. What are some things you have in your cupboard? I'll help you make something good..lol.

The Mckibbens

Leesa & Joshua
Belle & Tucker

NoodlezxMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
eeyore
Been Around A While

its a shame your mum doesnt enjoy cooking anymore, mind you if shes not a good cook and you have told her that it can be a bit deflating.
why dont you try to encourage her by offering to help. you could both learn together.
fast food may not be making you fat but what is it doing to your insides?
some overweight people are healthier than slim people.
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
The microwave "oven" is a microwave. No, you don't cook half in the oven and half in the microwave. They must have screwed up on the directions? What does it say for Oven and what does it say for Microwave? I'm guessing they have them too close together or they just didn't print them out right. What does a kid have to do to eat these days????

BTW, what does confuse me is when they throw in "Conventional Oven". I am not sure what that is and I am certain I don't have one!
I think on the box it is indicating a microwave oven as in a toaster oven...those can be preheated. They're not super popular anymore since microwaves came along. They remind me of huge toaster for big things like pizza. A conventional oven would be the big guys inserted into the wall or stove. There are a few pizzas that can be microwaved...but they usually have a box designed for microwaves...like bagel bites or those small pizzas. Larger ones usually are not designed to go into the microwave. As for baking a potato...next time...try cooking it for 10 mins or so..and then test it but putting a fork in it. If it goes in easily its done...if not it needs to be cooked longer. The larger the potato...the longer the cook time. Small potatoes can be cooked for 7 mins or so...whereas the real big guys may need 12.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Thank God my wife is a good cook. But I was a single guy and all I used was a toaster oven, microwave, wok and a rice pot. Oh but and can make a mean cup of coffee! Starry if you can practice now cause when your on your own It harder. I have 3 dishes I make real well after that it pure survival!
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #19
kandk
Site Regular

Send a message via MSN to kandk Send a message via Yahoo to kandk
Starry, a microwave oven IS a microwave. LOL
This is Koda. My avatar is Katie.
-Amanda
kandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonFowner View Post
ACTUALLY YOU PROBABLY DO!!!!!

The term "Conventional Oven" refurs to any oven EXCEPT a "microwave" or a "convection" style oven.

We all know what a microwave is, but a convection oven is one that has one or more small fans built into it to move the heat inside the oven to create a more even heat. All appliance stores offer convection ovens to retail customers, (usually as "duel" ovens). Convection ovens are used mostly for baking cakes, bread and pastries but they are mostly used in commerical applications to speed up baking and to get a more evenly baked product.

Starry ... I'm not sure waht your age is, but I'd suggest you pick up a few books and learn the basics. They will ALWAYS come in handy, (like today) and cooking isn't realy that tough.

As a former "professional chef" I never had any formal training, but I can cook almost any dish for anyone if i have a few hours to prepare. I still keep my "hand in" the business with a little business we call http://www.cookinggonewild.com and several time a year 4 of us cook wild game for two groups of 500 ppl.

If you have the time, I suggest you you visit sites like Food TV or cooks.com and look at some resipes. Pick out a few simple ones and practice. Start with and egg sandwich and work your way up to fried chicken. Dont't be afraid to fail. Thats the only way you will learn. HINT: never microwave and egg. It will only be good for use as a tire patch or a drain stopper!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes