Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic » Too afraid to potty!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

Too afraid to potty!

OMG! My poor little puppy is so scared of the dark (night time dark, not dark room dark) that she refuses to go potty at night. That poor pup holds it all night! I take her out several times, but all she does is climb up my leg and whimper. Sometimes she'll go pee, but don't even think about getting her to go #2! She is completely house trained now, but since she's decided the night is scary, I've woken up 2 days in a row now with her having an accident in the house. What can I do to reassure her? I stood out there with her for 20 minutes last night. We walked around the house, I talked to her, held her a few times, even took her over to investigate a few sounds (mostly leaves blowing in trees....lol). Still, no luck. Then, all night last night she whimpered because she had a tummy ache from having to poop! What's a puppy parent to do?
clser2thehrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I would start taking her out on a leash in the daytime to go to the bathroom. Litterally bring treats when she does her bussiness, reward. 'Good Potty'

At night I would take her on the leash, say 'go potty' if she clings to your leg, knock her off, she has to be her own individual. I know its cute to see your dog 'need' your protection but she honestly needs to 'be their own dog'

Walk out to the yard with her on the leash. Tell her to go potty. I am sure once shes out in her yard she will start sniffing for a place, if she 'clings' to you in fear, knock her off using your legs/knees. Tell her 'get off' which can be used later for other times for her to get off/stop jumping, esp with strangers...Time to start training such things is now as a puppy

Hope this helps.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

Do you have any outside lights you can light up the area? Could you move the potty area to a better lit one? Don't coddle her, that rewards her fear. She may have taken some kind of a fright and get over it before long. They often go through a stage at about 4 months where they are suddenly afraid of everything.

Could you try getting up in the middle of the night when she has to go worse, but hasn't had an accident yet? Walking her around when she really has to go may force her to go. If it does, lavish praise on her.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Do you have any outside lights you can light up the area? Could you move the potty area to a better lit one? Don't coddle her, that rewards her fear. She may have taken some kind of a fright and get over it before long. They often go through a stage at about 4 months where they are suddenly afraid of everything.

Could you try getting up in the middle of the night when she has to go worse, but hasn't had an accident yet? Walking her around when she really has to go may force her to go. If it does, lavish praise on her.
Sometimes eating a little treat stimulates pooping if they are trying to hold it. Clarification: your puppy eating the treat, not you. heh heh

Last edited by elsasmom : 05-06-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

I'll try the treats from now on. Maybe that will help. I do get up several time through out the night, and both of our yards (front and back) are very well lit. It's the places beyond the yards that scare her, even though we're not really that close. If she hears something (anything) she freaks. I'm sure she'll grow out of it. Thanks for all the good advice
clser2thehrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Howler
Been Around A While

My Charlie did something like this, when he went out for his last toilet if it was really windy or he could hear noises he would refuse to toilet. At one stage he refused to go outside if there were high winds, rain or leaves blowing round the yard. Once he even peed on the run! Luckily for me he started copying Benson our other dog and soon grew out of it.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

Shara said it well! I would try the same thing. Just reward her when she goes...

do you have a light outside where you take her? maybe that can help? or bring a light?

good luck!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Neurotic