Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition » Insulinoma

Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Insulinoma

O.K., when ever I have a problem this is the first place I turn to and have never been let down.
Friday night my little princess Penny had a seizure, another this morning. A trip to the vet had a heartbreaking diagnosis of Insulinoma. The vet suggested surgery but said it would only give her about 8 months. She also said many dogs don't live through the surgery. The other options were to put her down now, or give her a little honey 3-4 times a day, see if that calms down the seizures and wait and see what happens.
Does anyone know of any change of diet or suggestions to prolong her life? She is eight years old and needless to say she is my baby. She has been on a lamb and rice diet (dry dog food) for four months now and she has been doing well with it, no allergic reactions, she would vomit on anything with chicken.
I am just besides myself at this time. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
lovemy4puppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4puppies View Post
O.K., when ever I have a problem this is the first place I turn to and have never been let down.
Friday night my little princess Penny had a seizure, another this morning. A trip to the vet had a heartbreaking diagnosis of Insulinoma. The vet suggested surgery but said it would only give her about 8 months. She also said many dogs don't live through the surgery. The other options were to put her down now, or give her a little honey 3-4 times a day, see if that calms down the seizures and wait and see what happens.
Does anyone know of any change of diet or suggestions to prolong her life? She is eight years old and needless to say she is my baby. She has been on a lamb and rice diet (dry dog food) for four months now and she has been doing well with it, no allergic reactions, she would vomit on anything with chicken.
I am just besides myself at this time. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, I have no advice for you as I am unfamiliar with Insulinoma...I just wanted to pass along my condolences and thoughts that everything turns out okay. Not sure if this is helpful or not, but here is a link to a page I read when I looked it up on google.
http://www.vetinfo.com/dinsulomas.html
God Bless Penny and you as well, any option I am sure is not going to be easy.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #3
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I am so sorry to hear about Penny. I would try the honey for a while and see if that helps.

You have to consider if 8 months is worth it to the dog, who would be in recovery for a long bit. She might be put on a lot of medicines and pain killers for a while as well...

Sometimes money is not the problem...but we cannot be selfish...when its time for her to go, she will let you know. She is your baby, and I totally understand where you are coming from, but giving her a painless way to leave you might be the best gift you could give her.

My thoughts are with you, hang in there.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Unhappy

I just want to give a quick update. Penny is slowly getting worse. The seizures are getting closer but still seems in no pain.
I cry, a lot. My husband got a puppy. A Blue Heeler, and I guess it's a man thing.
I am amazed at the understanding of dogs. The puppy plays full out crazy with the other dogs but with Penny she lays on the ground, gently licks her face or ears, rolls over and nuzzles her...then gets up and the game is full on again with the other dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
I am so sorry to hear about Penny. I would try the honey for a while and see if that helps.

You have to consider if 8 months is worth it to the dog, who would be in recovery for a long bit. She might be put on a lot of medicines and pain killers for a while as well...

Sometimes money is not the problem...but we cannot be selfish...when its time for her to go, she will let you know. She is your baby, and I totally understand where you are coming from, but giving her a painless way to leave you might be the best gift you could give her.

My thoughts are with you, hang in there.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

I think I'd buy honey by the case. But questions arise such as how does vet know there's a tumor and where to go for a second opinion? How old is the pooch? Ultimately it's your decision. I always fight maybe too long and too hard throwing $$ at a problem better spent elsewhere but my pooches are my life. I have no one else to spoil rotten so I frequently go overboard on the 4-leggers which sometimes leads to extending their lives when they would be better released to go to the bridge. Quality of life is important...verrrry important.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
lovemy4puppies
New Around Here

Blood tests and ultrasound. Unfortunately, her diagnosis rang true. On Aug. 3rd Penny was unresponsive. Everything simply shut down. She passed away before I could even get her to the vets. office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
I think I'd buy honey by the case. But questions arise such as how does vet know there's a tumor and where to go for a second opinion? How old is the pooch? Ultimately it's your decision. I always fight maybe too long and too hard throwing $$ at a problem better spent elsewhere but my pooches are my life. I have no one else to spoil rotten so I frequently go overboard on the 4-leggers which sometimes leads to extending their lives when they would be better released to go to the bridge. Quality of life is important...verrrry important.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Momto3
Been Around A While

crap. I'm sooo sorry for your loss.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
elsasmom
Been Around A While

so so sorry

I am so so sorry for your loss. No words can make this less painful, but you did everything for Penny that your could possibly do. It just isn't fair; 8 years is not enough. RIP Penny knowing that you were loved so very much. You are in my thoughts and prayers._Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Shells_k
Been Around A While

So, so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Wow, Im very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

We're here for you if you need us!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Nutrition