Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Bones

Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Opps, sorry about the picture size. Don't know how to resize it though.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
My guys can only stomach the white rawhide bones. I have gotten them the cow leg bones from the pet stores and the fresh bones from the butcher but they always get stomach upset from them.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #23
Howler
Been Around A While

when charlie was growing his breeder and the vet recommended giving him chicken bones. now he is full grown he gets a denta rask every now and then, benson can have pressed rawhide bones and charlie may get one once a month if he is lucky but he gets a bit stupid with them. they dont get the knotted ones as charlie tries to swallow them and neither do they get any of the so called meat flavoured ones. ive found that nyla bones are the best, but we used to give big ham bones to the dogs at the kennels as a christmas treat.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

I'm a little late coming to this thread, but have just now read through it. I thought I would tell you my experience with Pig's Ears.

Though not strictly speaking raw (they are normally smoked) I fed them as an occasional treat to my dog Shasti. About 18 months ago I bought some from my usual supplier. On the morning of a trip to the Wolf Trust I gave her an ear to keep her busy in the back of the car.

During the morning I took her for a walk over the fields next to the Trust. I noticed she was not herself and just walking along very slowly. Then she had a bout of diarrhoea and continued to strain. I got her back to the car where she had another "accident". This time the smell was choking and there were traces of blood. Almost immediately she started to retch (as was I at this point) again fetching up pink frothy bile.

I was 50 miles from home. I phoned my vet who said to bring her straight in. I broke all speed limits on the drive home. The vet was waiting for me at the surgery. He did some tests and told me she had Salmonella poisoning undoubtedly from one pig's ear.

Shasti was on a drip in the vet hospital for three days, we almost lost her.

So Pig's Ears and hooves are now firmly off the menu.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #25
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Thanks for that warning, Wolfwalker. I've thought about trying them, but won't after hearing your experience.

I give the giant rawhide bones and keep an eye on her. She tried to gobble a large piece as a puppy and I was there to be sure it all came back up. Since then, she's very very careful to chew off the tiniest pieces to eat. We let her chew while we're in the room to be sure she doesn't choke and she does fine with them after that initial "biting off more than she could swallow". In 4 years, she's chewed up about 4 dozen of those great big things with no mishaps.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I go to United Supermarket and get the rib bones for like 1-2 bucks a pack for 3-4 bones, which have plenty of meat on them. I usually try to pick up the bones after 20-30mins of chew time, otherwise in the backyard they get chewed so small you cant find them...and they shouldnt chew them to that extent...kinda scarry...lol.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Bacterial poisoning (e.coli or samonella) can occur on just about anything that is chewed on and left for a while. Since it will be warm for a bit and moist it is a perfect environment for bacterial proliferation. That is one thing that I'm very careful when giving raw hides. Giving them a good washing and then setting them out to dry thoroughly greatly decreases the chances of this happening. I would also avoid giving raw hides or anything similar to dogs that want to goble it down. Other than that I'm perfectly fine with giving my dogs something to chew on.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #28
Wolfwalker
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
Bacterial poisoning (e.coli or samonella) can occur on just about anything that is chewed on and left for a while. Since it will be warm for a bit and moist it is a perfect environment for bacterial proliferation.
Just for clarification on Shasti's poisoning, this was not the case.

Given a Pig's Ear she would not leave it, not even for a minute. Once given she would chew on it till it was all gone, in usually around 10 -20 minutes.

I certainly agree with Steven's comments though, and if (not likely with Shasti ) she did chew something like hide and then leave it I would throw the remains away for safety's sake.
Wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #29
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwalker View Post
Just for clarification on Shasti's poisoning, this was not the case.

Given a Pig's Ear she would not leave it, not even for a minute. Once given she would chew on it till it was all gone, in usually around 10 -20 minutes.

I certainly agree with Steven's comments though, and if (not likely with Shasti ) she did chew something like hide and then leave it I would throw the remains away for safety's sake.
Thats very strange...that the infection would occur so quickly..and it must've been a nasty strain because canine's GI tract are shorter and thus aren't poisoned as easily as animals that have longer GI tracts. Good thing you sped your way to the vets. Its always good to keep in mind that things like these can and do occur and that (if we decide to give them to our dogs) we should do all that is possible to reduce the risk.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #30
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Elsa loves her rawhide bones

pic.jpeg.jpg
She safely chews off teesy bites until it's a stub that gets tossed. She's eaten about 12-15 of these in the past 4 years and only now is starting to lose interest in chewing. We give them to her when we're in the room-just in case.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet