Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Bones

Old 02-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

my mini schnauzers beard has gotten really yucky when ive given him raw hide..but i dont mind a piece of jerky once in a while..he loooooooves it. however he chews on them until they are completely gone, lol..no break in between
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #32
1dogbreeds
Site Regular

i have never given bones to my dog, but i am thinking to do this very soon
Dogs rule! Which is your favorite dog training method?
1dogbreeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #33
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Raw bones of any kind are fine, as long as they are not real small. Its cooked bones that will splinter. I have been researching raw diets for about four months now and am considering switching. All the store bought smoked bones, rawhides etc that I have gotten in the past have caused problems. So far, actual raw bones have not been the first problem not to mention they get calcium as well.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
Raw bones of any kind are fine, as long as they are not real small. Its cooked bones that will splinter. I have been researching raw diets for about four months now and am considering switching. All the store bought smoked bones, rawhides etc that I have gotten in the past have caused problems. So far, actual raw bones have not been the first problem not to mention they get calcium as well.
Yes I've heard the the big raw bones are ok for dogs as well. As for Calcium being a plus, I'm not so sure of that, you still need a source of phosphorus and vitamin D for it to actually work on bone building, if one ingredient is missing it goes straight through *you know what I mean*

I think we can all agree though, that supervision is the key if we are going to give our dogs any kind of chewable.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #35
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
Yes I've heard the the big raw bones are ok for dogs as well. As for Calcium being a plus, I'm not so sure of that, you still need a source of phosphorus and vitamin D for it to actually work on bone building, if one ingredient is missing it goes straight through *you know what I mean*

I think we can all agree though, that supervision is the key if we are going to give our dogs any kind of chewable.
I'm just talking about a treat, not as part of a whole raw diet.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #36
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
I'm just talking about a treat, not as part of a whole raw diet.
Oh yeah I know.lol. Hehe thats why I don't think raw diet is for me, you need to know lots about canine nutrition and stuff. I rather stick to training
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
Oh yeah I know.lol. Hehe thats why I don't think raw diet is for me, you need to know lots about canine nutrition and stuff. I rather stick to training
Thats why I have been researching this for some time. So far, I know muscle meat, organ meat is a must being that it is so full of nutrients, and calcium,usually in the form of ground bone and whole bones. But like you said, it all has to be balanced out and as of now, I don't feel like I am sure of all the "balancing" the nutrition to make it approprate. So, until then, its raw for treats only! lol.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
GappyGermanPointer
New Around Here

I don't give my dog with natural bones but instead I give her toy bone which has teeth and gum cleaning abilities. I think local pet stores sell this product.
In caring for your dog, give it the best dog diet and dog food recipes from your heart.
GappyGermanPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #39
naturalfeddogs
New Around Here

Any non weight bearing bones are fine, as long as they are not cooked. Cooking is where the problems come in. Mine eat chicken quarters as a regular part of their diet.
Jenny

Dogs fed unnatural diets are predisposed to unatural outcomes
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet