Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » BARF diet

Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

What is B.A.R.F???

So , what exactly is B.A.R.F. Like, what do you put in it. Meat and like, how??? help

Please... help fight BSL.
Not for me, but for them.
Everyone desearves a chance.
Do the right thing and lend a hand.
http://www.stopbsl.com/
lovethatdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Suz23
Been Around A While

lovethatdog - id sugest before you do anything, to read as much as you can on the internet - and read the books by Dr Ian Billinghurst - they are very comprehensive and easy to understand - I still refer to his occasionally now.

The good thing about B.A.R.F is that you dont need to feed complete meals everyday - rather you feed a balanced diet over a period of time. They should have acess to different raw meats - raw veggies fruit etc. Larger raw gnawing bones should be given for teeth leaning and smaller bones for eating - chicken wings turkey necks are great to start off with.

It isnt easy to start with, you have to try and make sure your dog gets all he/she needs - but once you get the hang of it its not that difficult - its certainly cheaper for me than feeding kibble. i had a hard time and got help with my dogs diet because shes allergic to the natural sugar in fruits and well allergic to a lot. But even she is doing well on this now and this was a dog who was scratching herself raw due to her allergies.

Bones must ALWAYS be fed raw - NEVER EVER cook them especially chicken bones. always freeze your meat for twenty four hours before feeding. Bones can be fed frozen in the summer if its really hot - otherwise just defrost the night before.
I feed mainly chicken wings and turkey necks for breakfast - she actually has hmecooked or raw for an evening meal which can be anything. pasta (gluten free but for most dogs normal pasta is fine) some veggies meat, tinned fish - whole raw fish are great but my dog hates them.

there is a lot to it and I did my research for a good 3/4 months before I was prepared to try it .
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

Well thanx, i will get started on my 3 months now!!! I am exited, but kindda nervouse because i want to give him what he needs.I will work on it!
thanx

Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Suz23
Been Around A While

your welcome - you may not need to spend three months researching it - I did because I had to be sure its right for my dog,she has various health problems that I had to be sure were going to get better because of it not worse. All I can say is if you do try B.A.R.F you wont regret it.
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
toppers
Been Around A While

I googled B.A.R.F. on the internet and got Dr. Billinghurst's Website. There's tonnes of info including a complete list of foods and their properties.
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Cool, thanx. I will check it out!lol

Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
rowansd
New Around Here

I have been feeding raw for a couple of months now and my dogs are loving it. They are healthy and happy and I was very happy to find it true that they are pooping less and it is much less smelly. Yeah! You do have to do your research of course. There is tons of info online, and lots of yahoo groups. I found a great canadian one.
rowansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Cool, iam glad about the poop thing. I have been researching it alittl on my free time. I tosunds great!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Daire1234
New Around Here

I have been feedin my dogs the raw diet for ever.. and they love it! I have a puppy and two older girls, i swear .. feeding ur dogs raw makes them live many more healthier years! Their coats r shinny, less smelly breath, stool is very little amounts and i give them all elk velvet antler. EVA is a high in minearls and nutrities which help in many joint problems and rebuilding broken bones. I even take to give that extra engery that i need at the end of the day to keep me going!
Daire1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #10
lovethatdogg
Been Around A While

Wow that is great thanx for sharing!

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet