Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Request for Help in K9 Nutrition

Old 06-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Question Request for Help in K9 Nutrition

Hello, thank you for stopping by this post

I have a question for all of you k9 nutrition studiers. My dogs (I own two, a Lab-Terrier mix and a Dachund-Beagle mix) and one of the dogs, for a while was on Science Diet (for most of his life actually). All of a sudden,he stops eating it. That is not abnormal for him, he is very picky and gets bored with treats after having the same kind for a while. But anyway, he has refused to eat Sience Diet, Eubanka(sorry if it is mispelled), Beniful, or any other 'considered' healthy meals for dogs. So we went and bought him the cheap nasty crap, you know, the 'go to the general dollar store and buy the cheap 10$ bag'...and he eats it like a maniac! It is called "Healthy Mix"...Though, I really do not like feeding him this, it is the only thing he would eat.

Is there a nutritional, healthy meal that can be created from our own kitchen cabinets? (Expenses are not a problem)

If you give any offers, please, PLEASE list your sources...If you saw it on a website, please tell me the website. If you heard it from a vet, please tell me the vet (who they are, possibly their phone number)...I will NOT consider feeding my dogs anything that is not offered resources for (not saying that I don't trust anyone, I just want my dogs to recieve the best care and nutrition, but it's difficult to do so when he doesn't eat the good stuff)~Such a complicated dog :P
ButterflySlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yeah, I cook for my pups, and they love it! There's a book with recipes, it's called 8 weeks to a healthy pet, and I had my vet check out the recipes and he said they looked good, so I started cooking, and they're doing so much better.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Thank you, I will surely look up this book now. Who authored it?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i would also look up about the barf diet which is natural food and meat google it ou will be amazed how much there is about it.
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

Here is a great book recommended by vets:

Natural Health Dogs and Cats by Pitcairn..I believe in second edition.

Here is a link on this site for raw and cooked information.
http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthr...highlight=diet

I know lots of people who do raw. There are so many choices in your pet stores now. I do a combination of manufactured (healthy), raw, and cooked. So my dogs get canned Wellness (Salmon and Duck), Wysong dry (Synorgen), cooked, and Primal raw cubes along with sardines, mackeral, boiled eggs, fish oil tablets. My canine acupunturist reminded me that we don't like to eat the same thing over and over again and either do your dogs.

You must remember that many vets are not that up on nutrition. You need to do your own homework and then experiment a bit to see what is best for your dog.

Good luck
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
k9mania
Administrator

Here is the link with the recommendations of my acupuncturist on nutrition.

http://www.k9mania.com/forum/showthr...highlight=diet
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
ButterflySlave
New Around Here

Thank you very much everyone for your help. I am reviewing all information. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again
Old 06-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Suz23
Been Around A While

Can only support what others have posted.

And your explanation on why he eats the crap - it like a child wanting smarties, so full of sugars it just tastes soooooooooo nice! Bad for him but nice all the same!!
Suz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
dogmom
New Around Here

Healthy homemade dog food

My four dogs are LOVING BirkDale's Pet Mix. It's easy to make, I know that it has REAL meat in it, and it contains dehydrated fruits and vegetables. My dogs have never looked this good. Check out helpyourdog.net. (They're great to deal with too). Good luck.
dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

what a great amount of useful info on here!
good questions..i too an interested in raw diets ..but havent started.
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet