Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression » Introducing dog to puppy HELP!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Mark_stimpo
New Around Here

Introducing dog to puppy HELP!

Hi all
I have a 5 year old staffordshire bull terrier, who is terrible with other dogs, as a puppy and upto age of 2 she was good with dogs, but now she starts if she gets near another dog, the problem is my partner has decided to get a staffie cross collie puppy(8weeks old) which i was a tad dissapointed as of the problem with my dog, we dont live together but are hoping to be living together by next summer! so we have a problem, how do i go about introducing my dog to her puppy? im a bit scared that mine will go for the puppy! obviosly we need to get this sorted, does anyone have any ideas, tips, advise, please,

ps they are boy(puppy) and girl

Thanks
Lola loves her new dog toys
Mark_stimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

A few questions:
1). What is the dog's posture when the pup is introduced?
2). How often does your dog socialize with new dogs and new ppl.

From your brief discription it sounds like it might be a socialization problem. If this is the case, you might want to try the following:

Start by having the two of them at a good distance apart so they dont react to each other then begin to move them closer together. Once the dog realizes that the pup is in the area, gauge the dog's response. If the dog is calm, reward it with quiet praise (such as a very soft "Good Dog") or a small treat. If the dog reacts poorly, (depending on the severity), adjust the position of the pup and the dog (moving them away from each other) until the dog is able to relax. Once relaxed, reward with quiet praise and a few small treats. Repeat as needed until the dog is able to approach your friends pup without reacting.

This can take weeks to do. Don't get in a hurry.

During this desensitization period, the dog must have time to work out the problem and find out that the puppy is a Good Thing (He gets rewarded and praised when the pup is present). Keep sessions short, and reward the dog with playtime after each session. The more times that your dog is exposed to desensitization, the faster this will happen. But be careful NOT to flood the dog with this stressful situation. "Flooding" can make the problem worse.

As the dog become less reactive to the puppy you can phase out the treats. Again, keep in mind that this may takes several weeks or even months to do. It will not happen in one or two sessions. Be patient, the results will be worth the time you invest.

The key here is to reward the dog for staying calm and excepting any situation you introduce. Your role as the owner is to project a feeling of relaxation, confidence, and complete control.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Mark_stimpo
New Around Here

thank you for this they are both settled in with each other now and are getting along fine
Lola loves her new dog toys
Mark_stimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_stimpo View Post
thank you for this they are both settled in with each other now and are getting along fine
Thats great news ... so glad everyone is getting along!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression