Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news » Pet food recall

Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Carol
Been Around A While

Once a dog is mature, it should only be fed once a day unless directed by a Vet otherwise for medical reasons.
If you feed more than once a day, the total amount of food eaten should not be any different. Just take the daily ration and give half twice a day.
My 30 lb dogs only eat a cup and a half of food each day.
When the food is balanced they rarely need what it says on the bags of food. Most dogs will be overweight eating what is recommended as well as treats that are given in between meals.
My dogs love carrots and apples as treats...(no seeds or cores)

I also buy them Merricks Lamb Filet Squares that have one ingredient only
Dehydrated Lamb Lung. They go absolutely crazy for this treat.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
k9mania
Administrator

I agree Carol that if you are feeding high quality dog food they don't need as much as it says on the bag typically. My borders are all around 40lbs and only get 1 cup a day plus other things like hard boiled eggs, sardines, vegetables and their treats. They should not be free fed either because then people have tendency to just keep adding more and more.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Once a dog is mature, it should only be fed once a day unless directed by a Vet otherwise for medical reasons.
If you feed more than once a day, the total amount of food eaten should not be any different. Just take the daily ration and give half twice a day.
My 30 lb dogs only eat a cup and a half of food each day.
When the food is balanced they rarely need what it says on the bags of food. Most dogs will be overweight eating what is recommended as well as treats that are given in between meals.
My dogs love carrots and apples as treats...(no seeds or cores)

I also buy them Merricks Lamb Filet Squares that have one ingredient only
Dehydrated Lamb Lung. They go absolutely crazy for this treat.
Large deep chested dogs like Greyhounds, Great Danes, German Shepherds, and dobermans should always be fed twice a day, because they are breeds at a high risk for bloat which is always fatal without surgery. Not necesarily more,(depending on the dog) but the usual amount broken up into two feedings.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #14
jrheitm
New Around Here

Send a message via AIM to jrheitm
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
I agree Carol that if you are feeding high quality dog food they don't need as much as it says on the bag typically. My borders are all around 40lbs and only get 1 cup a day plus other things like hard boiled eggs, sardines, vegetables and their treats. They should not be free fed either because then people have tendency to just keep adding more and more.

dudududu O i think im one of those people who keep adding more and more........ but he's little and skinny! so im trying to plump him up
jrheitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
jrheitm
New Around Here

Send a message via AIM to jrheitm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
Large deep chested dogs like Greyhounds, Great Danes, German Shepherds, and dobermans should always be fed twice a day, because they are breeds at a high risk for bloat which is always fatal without surgery. Not necesarily more,(depending on the dog) but the usual amount broken up into two feedings.

i think all dogs should be fed twice a day so they dont "scarf" down their food

and a bunch of other reasons that i cant explain
jrheitm is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news