Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments » Alternative medicine for canines

Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Alternative medicine for canines

Pet Owners Turning To Alternative Medicines

Dogs And Cats Now Can Get Acupuncture, Treatment With Herbs And Massage To Help Insure Longer Life

Reporting
Cindy Hsu
WESTBURY, N.Y. (CBS) ― Even Rover needs quality healthcare.

Now, when it comes to their dogs and cats, many pet owners are turning to alternative medicine.

CBS 2 HD got a firsthand look at what's easing the pain.

Francis was found abandoned and covered in sores three years ago. Doctors are using acupuncture to treat his painful arthritis.

"He gets afraid of things very easily, so for him to like something like getting needles stuck into him, it must make him feel better, so I think it works," said Jennifer Genesi, Francis' owner.

One treatment takes 20 minutes, and Dr. Bridget Halligan said most of her dog and cat patients respond after about four sessions spread over several weeks. She said it's especially successful for pain management.

"You'll have a 14-year-old German shepherd who, for the past two years, hasn't been able to jump into the car, and we start doing acupuncture on them and then two months down the line, you know he jumped into the car the other day," Dr. Halligan said.

see rest of article:
http://wcbstv.com/topstories/alterna....2.825847.html
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
kimmer
New Around Here

This is great! I also have massage and Reki done on my pets. I just recently bought a massage for pets from hands on pet massage (.com I think). It has helped me help my babies more on my own and I love it.
kimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
k9mania
Administrator

cHECKOUT THIS REHAB CENTER

Fido? He's in rehab -- for his knee (or is it his elbow?)

January 4, 2009 They come in with arthritis, back pain, sore elbows. Some are recuperating from car accidents or surgery or just bad judgment (a leap off a balcony). Others are coping with the ravages of old age. The most common problem: a tear of that pesky knee ligament, the ACL. They work out on treadmills, strengthen their core muscles, get their joints manipulated and undergo acupuncture.

They are patients of California Animal Rehabilitation, seeking physical therapy for pain relief and better mobility. They are mostly dogs, but the current clientele includes a few cats and a rabbit that lost its hop.

The clinic, which opened a year and a half ago in Santa Monica, is the brainchild of veterinarian Jessica Waldman, 33, and physical therapist Amy Kramer, 40, who holds a doctorate in her field. Technically, in California, what they do can't be called "physical therapy" -- that's only for humans.

But the big rehab room will look familiar to anyone who's been through a regimen of physical therapy: mats on the floor, colorful medicine balls in jelly bean shapes, meditation music wafting through the sound system.

Of course, other veterinarians in Southern California are doing acupuncture. And there are some area vets doing underwater treadmill work and rehab. But the two founders and owners say their facility is a unique combination of rehabilitation, acupuncture and nutrition counseling all under a vet's supervision.

See rest of article at:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,5015346.story
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
k9mania
Administrator

Animal pain management

Windsor had a new veterinarian in town this week until today.

The Windsor Veterinary Clinic, 415 Main Street, hosted one of Italy's finest researchers in pharmacology and toxicology for the past week.She also sits on the faculty at the University in Perugia, Italy, where she has studied and taught for the past 18 years.Dr. Giorgia della Rocca, however, has been sitting in and learning all she can about animal pain management while in Windsor."I am very excited to learn about pain management," della Rocca said. "Two years ago I became very interested in learning about pain management and started reading a lot of papers on the topic.""This type of practice is not very well known in Italy, unlike surgical pain," della Rocca added. "People in Italy are not really concerned about the long term pain their pets may have, either." With animal pain management still a relatively new subject, researchers like della Rocca are still learning about all of the different treatments available to pets."Thing's have changed," said Sharon DeNayer, a practice manager at Windsor Veterinary Clinic. "Some treatments that were not available years ago, are available now. Our job is to keep animals from hurting." And, with all of the experiences della Rocca has witnessed in the past week, she will be able to return to Italy with a whole new set of information on pain management."This has been a really good place to see all of the different practices involved with pain management," della Rocca said. "Robin has always been available and has been willing to explain and show me everything." The treatments della Rocca has witnessed over the past week includes electro-acupuncture, massage, laser therapy and underwater treatment.
See rest of article at:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...902120335/1131
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

Mud spa treatments for your K9 companion

IT'S your dog's birthday and you would like to give him a treat.

Instead of the usual doggy snack, how about putting him in a doggy jacuzzi where he can get an essential oils perfume treatment at $40, which will leave him smelling like roses for a week?
Sounds outlandish?
Not for some pet owners here, who are indulging their loyal companions with dead sea mud baths and such aromatherapy sessions that range from $30 to $80.
One place offering pets such lavish treatment is the Noo Age Dog Company (NADC), where owners get to choose from a range of 27 types of essential oils, including green tea and orange blossom scents.
'Some people want to give a special scent to their dogs for their birthday, while others come for health issues such as loss of hair and body odour,' said Mr Kew Nyan Soon, a staff member.
The essential oils can also be used in spas and massage therapy sessions.
Mr Marcus Khoo, who set up NADC, said the popularity of such treatments grew noticeably after 2005 following magazine and TV features on dog spas and therapeutic healing methods for pets.
Young professionals
Young adult professionals make up the bulk of his clientele.
'With more well-travelled Singaporeans, there are more willing parties to seek out holistic options for their animal companions,' said Mr Khoo, who is certified by the American Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy. He is also a member of the International Association of Animal Massage Therapists and International Centre for Reiki (Michigan).
The centre is also the only one here offering Reiki for pets, a Japanese treatment which harnesses 'universal life force energy' to help animals.

See rest of article:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/st...193205,00.html

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments