Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes » how do you make your turkey

Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
gsdmama
Been Around A While

how do you make your turkey

i use reynolds oven bags. alot of juice for the gray and never dry. what i do is that i buy a whole breast turkey. it is the turkey with no legs and wings since both sides of the family don't like them. on wednesday i wash the turkey well with lemons and rinse well with water. i let the turkey drip dry, then i linethe bottom of a pan with plastic then with paper towels and cover and place in the fridge. on turkey day i soften some butter oh about a stick. i add tons of herbs to the butter. season salt,pepper,galic about 2 cloves minced, rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage. before adding to the butter i crush the herbs in my hand to release the fragrance. i mix the butter and herbs well. then i take the turkey out and remove him from the pan and dry well (note: if there is any more blood rinse again).

then i gently separate the skin from the breast. i take some butter and spread it between the skin and meat. coat well. then i take the rest of the butter and cover the skin and coat well. it is very important to make sure your gobbler is dry otherwise the butter will not stick.

i follow the directions for the oven bag and place the turkey inside and stuff.

yum oh.

i started using oven bags when one year i was at someone's house and the turkey was over cooked and dry as a bone.

then i started to have thanksgiving at my house which i enjoy.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I'm almost the same with a few exceptions.

I use just Garlic Powder and Rubbed Sage in the compound butter, and I make a Sage Stuffing the day before and stuff the bird just before it goes in the oven. I also add 1/2 of and onion, (course chop) two sticks of celery, and two large carrots in the bag. I also salt and pepper the bird. Just before I close the bag, I add 2-3 oz of white wine and several bay leafs.

Finally, I have two probe style thermometers and I stick one in the stuffing and one in the breast meat. When it hits 160 in the stuffing and 155 in the meat i pull it from the oven and let it rest on the stove or counter with foil over it. Carry-over heat will finish the cooking in about 15-20 mins. The temps come up about 10 degrees .... then its ready to carve.

I also do them in a tabletop roaster the same way. (without the bag). But a roaster will only do a turkey that is under 15 lbs. I like to do 16-19 pounders so i get plenty of leftovers ....
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I use Alton Brown, from Good Eats method. roast for 30 min. at 500 degrees then turn oven down to 350 roast until breast is 161 dgrees
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I use Alton Brown, from Good Eats method. roast for 30 min. at 500 degrees then turn oven down to 350 roast until breast is 161 dgrees
I start mine the same way when I use the Tabletop roaster .... good ol' Alton
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Recipes