Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care » Puppies wanting to sleep in bed with me, bad habit?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Puppies wanting to sleep in bed with me, bad habit?

Well I let my dog sleep in bed with me and now I have a litter of puppies that has been sleeping in a dog bed in my room but has recently learned that if they whine they can come and sleep with me, so what do you think? Bad habit or good? I personally LOVE being surrounded by dogs! What do you guys think? What's your take on the dogs in bed? I know lots are guilty of it and I can't really think of a negative side, can you? Just curious!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I dont think it is a good idea. At that age they should be learning to be crate trained in seperate crates. Not only is it good to keep them out of things, but also when they go to their new homes the owners will appreciate having pups that are used to being by themselves and crated. It makes potty training easier, and the transition to the new enviroment without the rest of the family. Now is a great time to start teaching them to go potty outside.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Labman
Been Around A While

Mostly I see dogs in bed with you as a personal decision. However, I would hate to get a puppy spoiled by sleeping in the bed.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Mostly I see dogs in bed with you as a personal decision. However, I would hate to get a puppy spoiled by sleeping in the bed.
They are totally being spoiled! But I think most pugs are and most people who own them are planning to spoil them rotten, usually anyway. I just don't want the new owners to have to break the habit. I just feel so bad when they whine to come in bed with me I'm a big sissy too, when they whimper I come running to fix their problem.

Would you personally be upset if your new puppy wanted to sleep with you? Maybe I'm just to much of a softie.

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I dont think it is a good idea. At that age they should be learning to be crate trained in seperate crates. Not only is it good to keep them out of things, but also when they go to their new homes the owners will appreciate having pups that are used to being by themselves and crated. It makes potty training easier, and the transition to the new enviroment without the rest of the family. Now is a great time to start teaching them to go potty outside.
Always such great advice! This is not my first litter but it is MY first litter that is mine, in my home, and mothered by my female. So I have a million questions to ask about everything. I'm so glad there are experienced people, like you JessicaR, to answer my question. Much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggie_momma View Post
They are totally being spoiled! But I think most pugs are and most people who own them are planning to spoil them rotten, usually anyway. I just don't want the new owners to have to break the habit. I just feel so bad when they whine to come in bed with me I'm a big sissy too, when they whimper I come running to fix their problem.

Would you personally be upset if your new puppy wanted to sleep with you? Maybe I'm just to much of a softie.

Thanks again guys!

While I dont mind my dogs sleeping with me, I keep most of mine crated at night at least until they are old enough to be trusted not to get into stuff. My intact male is always crated at night just because I dont want to risk an accidental pregnancy. Belle is very clean when she is in heat and it can be very hard to even tell she is since she has all that fur to cover her vulva. Plus it is good to have a dog crate trained since you never know if in the future the dog will have to be crated. An illness or natural disaster or vacation anything like that could cause the dog to have to be crated and if they are not used to being crate that causes even more stress on them in an already stressful situation.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
While I dont mind my dogs sleeping with me, I keep most of mine crated at night at least until they are old enough to be trusted not to get into stuff. My intact male is always crated at night just because I dont want to risk an accidental pregnancy. Belle is very clean when she is in heat and it can be very hard to even tell she is since she has all that fur to cover her vulva. Plus it is good to have a dog crate trained since you never know if in the future the dog will have to be crated. An illness or natural disaster or vacation anything like that could cause the dog to have to be crated and if they are not used to being crate that causes even more stress on them in an already stressful situation.
You do make some good points. I do actually crate my male also but only when my female is in heat and i do not want them to mate. i'm lucky it is VERY easy to tell when my females go into heat. i never really used the crate though as a training method. i think you are right it maybe a good idea to get everyone used to their crates. i bought a bunch of them a while ago with the intention to crate but i'm such a baby and when they whine i say aww..come sleep with me..haha. i just love the little fury guys cuddling with me! as far as the puppies go they are not crated at, ever. i let them rome free when ever i am home and around and when it is night or i am not home i have them in a 6 foot diameter pen. Recently the children wanted the puppies to spend a night in the room with us(i sleep with my kids) and it was nice so we stopped putting them in the pen and started letting them sleep on the floor in the room in there dog bed, soon though as i mentioned they realized that if they whine they will be picked up and put into bed with us. So that's where my dilemma is. i know its probably not the best, but i'm such a push over. they are so spoiled. I do feel bad for their future owners though if they do not intent to sleep with the pups.

well thank you, one quick follow up question. Do you crate the pups all together or individual?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
JessicaR
Been Around A While

The first couple of days they got crated to gather, then I split them in 2 groups for a couple of days then individually. And yes they did whine and cry at first when they were alone but they eventually got used to it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Quote:
The first couple of days they got crated to gather, then I split them in 2 groups for a couple of days then individually. And yes they did whine and cry at first when they were alone but they eventually got used to it.
I'm such a baby when it comes to them whinning and crying
Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Fritz_Dog
New Around Here

I agree that it would be best if the puppies didn't sleep in the bed. I imagine it could create bad habits down the line. Sleeping in the bed might also skew their understanding of pack order. Lastly, as you said, you don't want to create problems for their future family.

Personally, my dog does not sleep in my bed since he is a bed hog (despite his small size) and he tends to pick up bits of dirt. He likes his own bed just fine.

There are plenty of ways to spoil pets besides letting them sleep in our beds.
Fritz_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Breeding and Puppy Care