Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly » Door Charging

Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
bootscar1
Been Around A While

Door Charging

This might be a simple task with one but I'm having a really hard time with 5 young dogs. Every time people come to the door they all charge it and jump on the visitor. Has anyone got any tips with multiple dogs. Do you teach one individually or all at the same time. My method right now is to stand in front of the door to claim my space and if they jump say no tell them to sit than affection if they do. My husband and I have overcomed alot of obstacles with our pack but still have lots to learn. They do have structure and rules but unfortanately when it comes to the door all heck breaks loose.... lol . I'm having lots of visitors next month and some with young children so I'm looking to correct this problem as soon as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
bootscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Actually what you're doing is exactly what I do. I have four now. I back them off the door and make them sit. When all are "sitting pretty" they get to go outside. Surprisingly, Myles - my newest is the bestest at waiting for me to say it's ok.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootscar1 View Post
Do you teach one individually or all at the same time. My method right now is to stand in front of the door to claim my space and if they jump say no tell them to sit than affection if they do.
You have the right idea. Keep in mind that the further they are from the door, the less excited they will be. Claiming the door is a tough job when you have highly excitable dogs.

Yes, try working with them one at a time and when they all "have it" use the best one and add a 2nd, then a 3rd and so on until they all can do it together.

When the dog jumps up on someone, have the person turn away and ignore the dog completely. The dog will realise that he doesnt get attention when he jumps up. Instead, teach the do to sit when someone enters, and then have the guest gentely pet, or give the dog a treat. The key here is to keep the dog calm when someone visits.

(Note: you must never allow your dogs to jump on you when they are excited either).
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I have 3 little girls I have trained in the same manner you have. I can open the door and leave it wide open and they wont run out.

I dont just stand infront of the door, if they take a step forward, I take 2 towards them...backing them up. If they dont get the hint I have a squirt bottle by the door. I havent had to use that in ages...

Another way of training "off" is (individually) when they go to lunge for you, back away so they cant do it. Say "off" and when they sit/stand without lunging, reward with "good off"

If all else fails, when they do land on you, bend your knees, hitting their tummy, they will instantly get off then. Be firm in telling them "off" in a deep stirn voice, not hyper and high pitched which will only confuse and ryle them up.

Alot of training can be your tone of voice, it can have drastic effects on the responce from your dog.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Sounds like everyone has it. Lots and lots of repatition. I always practice a wait command at the door. Try it when things are calm first. Like at times when there are no visitors. Then gradually work to bigger and better things. Make sure when your company comes in they wait to pet or offer praise to the dogs. They only get pets when they are calm, always pet the ones that are being the calmest first.
Good luck, thats a tough task.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
SchnauzkyLVR
Been Around A While

Good info to know. I always have wondered what to do as well, however I dont have a big dog or several. I do want more in the future, so this is good to know.

I hope you can train them to not charge anymore. good luck!
~*:: BATMAN ::*~
:: "Dogs are miracles with paws" ::
SchnauzkyLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
hi bootscar1...glad you got your posting problem sorted out!
you already had lots of good advice. its all a matter of consistency, timing, and practise...hang in there
gilly

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Behaving Badly