Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news » Let's address some big issues

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Thumbs up Let's address some big issues

This site has many very knowledgeable and capable canine owners who can engage in great dialogue. There are many timely issues that relate to our canine companions. Some of the issues that I think everyone should think about are 1) the type of food one feeds their companion. There is a lot of research going on about the possibility that dogs can become gluten intolerant like people. So grain free is all the buzz. 2) Should you vaccinate or do titer tests as your dog ages? 3) Controlling puppy mills and backyard breeders 4) The education of the public on the difference between a particular breed and the actions of the owners that create aggressive dogs 5) holistic treatments to enhance the quality of life of your canine companion and compliment Western Medicine 6) Selecting a competent dog trainer and a kennel that fits your needs 7) How do we deal with the very real issue of people not being able to afford necessary treatment for their dog creating situations where dogs are unnecessarily put down?

These are just a few issues that I would love to see us discuss. I also believe that there is an increase in people taking advantage of the fact that people will do anything for their canine pal. This leads to charlatans in areas of dog training, holistic treatments, pet communicators, etc. Should there be a site like Yelp for the pet community in general? Looking forward to discussing these issues.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Lots of great topics, every one of them important to us all I think. Will be interesting to read the responses.

Susan and the Turf Gang
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yay! Serious topics. I do include grain in my dogs food when I make it, bc if I don't, my group loses a ton of weight. And its already hard to keep weight on Cerber. I don't do corn or wheat, though. Those make Maxer itchy. Mostly brown rice, oats, amaranth or barley. But I do see where the grain free foods make sense. Why does a predator need grains? I know that they scavenge, but dogs are primarily carnivorous. I do not do grains at all in my cats' food. Luckily, they're ok on canned food, and I haven't had to start cooking for them yet.
I wish that I knew more about the titers. My dogs are actually overdue for their vaccinations, but I dont' think I want to do them anymore. I did my rabies, so we're legal. But with Brigit having autoimmune issues, and having had previous reactions to the vaccines, I just think it's too risky for her. Then there's Cerbie who had distemper, his poor body has already been through the ringer.
That's pretty much all I can comment on. There aren't any affordable holistic care practices around me. I dont' know how to get through to your average person about owners vs. breeds. I do find it incredibly sad that ppl will fawn all over Jasmine until they hear she may have some pit bull in her, then they decide she wasnt' just being nice to them a few seconds ago, she was casing them or something.
Can we just collect back yard breeders and puppy mill owners and dump them somewhere? Perhaps some sort of kill shelter for ppl like that? Maybe a deserted island? That would make me happy.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Labman
Been Around A While

Also show breeders that compromise on health and temperament issues and produce bull dogs that can't breath. Lab breeders that keep their dogs obese.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
k9mania
Administrator

I do quite a few conformation dogs that do agility. It is very difficult on them because they are too heavy. I have one Golden that I must massage once a week prior to a conformation show because his back is so roached from landing over the jumps. There are some conformation labs that have a very short leg, long back, and get ACL injuries regularly.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Yeah, I hate the fat showdogs. I saw some chunky dachshunds last year at the show. Just fat, not even muscular. Made me sad.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Site news