Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet » Raw diet

Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Raw diet

sorry if this has been asked before but anyways does any one here feed their dog a raw diet? If so what do you feed? I have been thinking about feeding my shelties raw, but I dont know where to start. There are so many sites and they all say different! Is it necissary to add supplements to their food? Is it ok to just feed chicken, rabbit, and turkey oh and maybe fish occasionally? I am not sure if I want to feed them beef and definitly not pork!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

I've feed mine raw for years. Chicken, beef, fish, eggs and pork. The best thing to remember is a variety and balance over time, don't worry about it each meal. Variety for a dog is a variety of meat, soft digestable bone, organs like liver, chicken feet, and such, and maybe an occassional bit of vegitable for fiber purposes. Think about your own diet. You require a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, but you don't need to calculate the exact percentage for each meal. Sometimes you eat more, sometimes less. I don't take vitamins or supplements myself, and I don't feed them to my dogs.

Oh, and don't freeze huge chunks of meat - divide it up into serving sized chunks, pop it into baggies, and freeze that.

I do try to freeze it for a few weeks or longer before I thaw it and feed it to the dogs to sort of sanitize it.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
JessicaR
Been Around A While

so is it ok to give the dogs like a whole cornish hen? the dogs weights are 35# 21# and 15# at optimum weight. what calculation do you use for the amounts of rmb's muscle meat and orgens do you give? I know some say 60% rmb's 35% muscle and 5% organ.where do you get chicken feet? oh I should add that I do plan on breeding my 1 sheltie (15#) sometime this fall/winter. so she will obviously need more during pregnancy and lactating. I would like to feed the puppies raw also, but I dont know about that since all the people I on my waiting list will feed kibble. sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I dont mess up
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Monsterpuppy
Been Around A While

I don't calculate percentages anymore. I just try to make it balanced. If I'm lobbing drumsticks at them because they were on sale one week, then I give them boneless meat to balance it out later. For organs, I go more for the "make sure then have a chunk of something weird every week." To start out, though, you need to start very simply, with one protein source, and small meals, watching carefully how the dogs process it. (Yep, lookin at poop - sorry) Don't feed them and let them wander off out of sight to eat it.

I do give mine cornish game hens pretty regularly, but you have to introduce them to the raw diet carefully. If it's too sudden and their digestion can't handle it, then you get into trouble - sick dogs, bad reactions, allergies. You have to give them time for the bacteria in their stomaches to adjust and evolve to digest the bones and new diet. Another problem is that they have to learn how to eat it. It sounds weird, but if a dog comes from a diet of crunchies or other processed food, and you start giving them drumsticks and chicken wings or rubbery beef toungues, they're likely to choke because they don't know how to chew.

I used the "Raw Meaty Bones" book when I started out, and it helped me. He gives meal plans and recipies. There are several "Raw Meaty Bones" Yahoo groups that might be useful to you. If you can get your vet on board, than they could be a good resource as well.
---------------------------------------------------------
Proper dog spoilage is an art form.

http://www.weaselpuppy.com
http://www.squidoo.com/dog-themed-gifts-and-awards
http://www.cafepress.com/weaselpuppy
Monsterpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
I have to agree that "Raw Meaty Bones" is an excellent book and a good start. Some people also prefur billinghurst's "The BARF Diet"... there is a lot of debate out there as to which is better. When I was raw feeding, I went more the billinghurst route and my dogs did extremely well. (Unfortunatally, housing prices went up recently and I'm back with the rents until I finish university, so they're back to Innova Evo, which they do fine on)

The key is to just get comfortable with the idea and make sure your peices are big enough so your dog actually takes the time to chew. I found larger peaces of meat were better for my guys because it would slow them down and get the good chewing action to keep their teeth in shape.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

This is a really interesting thread. I wouldn't mind going raw, but Danny boy is a germaphobe, and would probably have a fit or stop touching the dogs altogether if I did that.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

So should I start them on chicken wing?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
caninejan
Been Around A While

I keep Bubba on Nature's Variety Instinct and Prairie for his kibble. I can't find a reliable source of organic meats in my area, so I go with the freeze-dried raw medallions. Bubba isn't real thrilled with the consistency of raw meat anyway. He's doing great on it, so, I'll stick with it. He also love fruits and vegies, so, no worries there!
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
So should I start them on chicken wing?
I'm sure that would be fine.

I liked to just give my dogs the chicken wings (and other RMBs) frozen. It would keep them chewing and occupied for a longer period of time.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
eeyore
Been Around A While

as already said varitey is important.
i feed mine lamb, chicken, turkey, tripe, organ meat, heart, eggs, natural live yogurt, oily fish, porkand sometimes they have veggies and fruit.
for their bones i give them lambs neck, turkey neck, turkey wings, chicken wings, chicken carcasess, pigs trotters, ribs, chops etc
i do not give any supplements.
i am so glad that i took the plunge, they have been on raw for a year now and are doing great, Jaspers arthritis is alot better and his skin is too.
they are all in such great condition.
the only thing is Molly is a scoffer of food so sometimes for the smaller bones i give them to her frozen.
i started them of on chicken then slowly introduced different meats.
i found it helpful to write down what i was feeding them at first so i could keep an eye on their diet as they were changing over.
and yes you do become a poo watcher LOL
The more I see of the representatives of the people the more I admire my dogs. - Alphonse de Lamartine
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Raw Diet