Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Delilah

Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Labman
Been Around A While

Delilah

Today was the awful day Raven had to be returned to the dog guide school to start her training. For all my jokes about at least you don't have to send every penny you have with your dog, it still hurts to go home without the dog that has lived in your house for a year and gone everywhere with you.

However, we did take home a 12 week old female, yellow Lab. With a retired dog guide in the house named Sampson, of course we named her Delilah.

Ordinarily the school wants the puppies in the home at 7 weeks. Delilah was a last minute donation. There may be some issues we will have trouble with.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Today was the awful day Raven had to be returned to the dog guide school to start her training. For all my jokes about at least you don't have to send every penny you have with your dog, it still hurts to go home without the dog that has lived in your house for a year and gone everywhere with you.

However, we did take home a 12 week old female, yellow Lab. With a retired dog guide in the house named Sampson, of course we named her Delilah.

Ordinarily the school wants the puppies in the home at 7 weeks. Delilah was a last minute donation. There may be some issues we will have trouble with.
That sucks, but I am sure you did a great job with Raven, as you will with Delilah. It is bittersweet to become so bonded with the pups, but so happy to know you are sending them off to great things. Great job you are doing. Good luck with Delilah.

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
LabMomHouston
Been Around A While

Good luck with the new addition! I can only imagine how hard it is. Scares me just to think of giving up our fosters. Just keep telling yourself it's the right thing, its the right thing.
LabMomHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
JessicaR
Been Around A While

I know how hard it is to return the pups. I just try and look at the big picture, how much help that dog will be doing for that person. Congrats on Delilah, I am sure she will be just fine even if she is a little older. I have gotten pups at 6 months old before and they both did fine and are now guide dogs.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Labman
Been Around A While

Well, Delilah is starting to catch on to this leash thing. She did very well in church today and the downtown walk with a puppy group. She did balk on a very nasty set of steps. The open metal ones that the treads are made up of strips of metal with teeth.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
sandyb
Been Around A While

It must be so hard to give up the dogs you've trained and loved, but at least you know they are going on to be someone's helper in many different ways. I applaud you for doing what you do, even though the relinquishing of your pal must be awful. I wish Raven well with the next step in her training, and hope you enjoy Delilah's time with your family.
sandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
JessicaR
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Well, Delilah is starting to catch on to this leash thing. She did very well in church today and the downtown walk with a puppy group. She did balk on a very nasty set of steps. The open metal ones that the treads are made up of strips of metal with teeth.
my pups always have trouble with those kind of steps at first. They dont like the feeling under their paws or the openess.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion