Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Ped & Paw Health and Fitness » Let's get going on the health group

Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

today

I had a super good breakfast this morning, organic cereal and milk, then the dogs and I did a mile before work. I'm gonna go home and walk another 2 with them this evening, the weather is just perfect for it.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
zorasdad
Been Around A While

Great job!
a working dog is a happy dog
zorasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Hehehe perfect in TX! Its raining here in So Cal, well it was anyways it stopped a while ago. Sounds like you woke up on the right side of the bed, eh? Thats good to hear, thanks for sharing with us. Hope your day just keeps getting better
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I woke up and walked my fuzz heads too and am gonna go again tonight as well! I didn't eat so good today though I had a grilled chicken sandwich and some onion rings... oopsss But I did walk once and plan on walking again so maybe I will burn some of those calories off Good job to you for starting your day off right!
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

It is a great night for walking. 61 degrees with a light breeze. Neka and I just got back from a nice 1.5 mile walk. The sky is clear so we got to see the moon and stars. I light breeze was blowing the leaves around and we got to see a small group of deer (10-12) grazing about 2 blocks from my house. Neka was trying to go play with them, but I had to keep from going.

I think we're going out again later tonight too. It will be in the mid 50's so I'll have to wear mor than shorts and a t-shirt if we do!!!
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
k9mania
Administrator

Ideas to start

Check your cupboards and see what might tempt you. I just made some pumpkin pies so that there is not any temptation to make it later. Check for candy,etc. Tell your significant other and family what you plan on doing. Ask them to help you by not eating or keeping tempting foods in places that you can get to them.

Change from beef to chicken, ground turkey, turkey bacon, light everything. Remember that you cannot expect to never eat something that you probably should not. What you need to remember is not to use going off the wagon as an excuse to stop the process. Just get back to the plan. Also, give yourself a break when you have been doing everything well or had a breakthrough.

Think about what you like to do (i.e. walk, ride bikes, swim, treadmill, etc). What are your resources, what are the weather conditions, your work schedule, family schedule?

Start to think about short term goals. So something like...you never have walked much and you want to walk enough for cardiovascular health. So In 2 weeks, I want to be able to walk for 10 minutes without stopping. Long term goals, weight, a 5K, etc. Now you also have to think about your K9 companion. For example, my 12 year old has been a couch potato because of my problems and her hyperparathyroidism. Now I would make her short term goal to be that she can exercise enough that she is energetic enough after exercise to not sleep or be stiff. I can make a goal like that because I am a Physical Ed person and have coached enough to know my dog's body and abilities and disabilities.

Do not consider this a short term until spring type of fix. Think of it as a lifestyle change when you are trying to figure out what you want out of this. If you make it a lifestyle change....you will and can carry this on with you.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

We did another 1 and 1/2 hour walk last night. Brigit was tired! WEll, for 5 minutes, then she was up and being a terror again. Not really, she's actually been a lot better lately. We went and got my sister and her boxer, so we had a pack walk. We ranged from 8 pound Brigit, to 65-70 pound Nikki the boxer, I bet we're a funny site! I'm proud of myself for yesterday.

Today is gonna bea different story. It's that time, and I'm just not feeling up to anything today. Today will just be a damage control day, and not using pms as an excuse to pig out on chocolate.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
k9mania
Administrator

Other suggestions

Before you decide on your goals:

Do a food journal for a week without concern for the upcoming changes. You need to see what you do eat and when and how much. Don't leave anything out.

Also write down activities that you do like yard work, shoveling snow, etc. because much of that work counts. When can you walk up stairs? Park further in a parking lot? etc.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
Didn't get to walk again yesterday... had a rough day. Today will be different though, I am vowing to walk twice with everyone today. I really wanted mc donalds breakfast this morning but all I could think about was you all and that I could come home and write that I passed it by with ease after I thought about you!
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Good suggestions, K9! I'll start my food journal. I think I'm going to notice a lot of boredom snacking.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Ped & Paw Health and Fitness