Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments » Canine chiropractic - not just for active dogs

Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Canine chiropractic - not just for active dogs

Posted on Sat, Nov. 22, 2008
Chiropractic care not just for humans

Veterinarian Teresa Burks was so impressed by how chiropractic helped her dog, she learned to use it to help other animals.

BY DIANE MCCARTNEY
The Wichita Eagle Teresa Burks admits that many veterinarians -- and people in general, for that matter -- are skeptical about chiropractic care, for people or for animals.
She was one of them -- until she saw the benefits that chiropractic brought to her dog Drummer.
"In all honesty," Burks told members of the Wichita Kennel Club at a meeting earlier this month, "I didn't believe in it until it was proven to me."
Burks, a veterinarian who practices at Andover Veterinary Clinic and is certified in animal chiropractic by the International Veterinary Chiropractic Association, told kennel club members how chiropractic works and how it could benefit their pets.
It was through participation with her dogs in canine sports -- particularly agility -- that Burks got interested in, first, canine massage, and then chiropractic care.
Back in 2004, she noticed that Drummer, her Borzoi, was not moving properly and was refusing to do a certain obstacle. She took X-rays but couldn't find anything wrong with him.
Because Drummer had "rock-hard muscles, I thought he was in shape," Burks said, "but he was in pain."
Burks and Drummer attended a canine exercise seminar led by Joanne Lang, of the Lang Institute for Canine Massage in Loveland, Colo. That sparked an interest in massage, and later, chiropractic care for animals.
Acting on Lang's advice, Burks took Drummer to Rodney Clements, an El Dorado doctor of chiropractic who is also certified in animal chiropractic by the American Veterinary Chiropractic Association.
In Kansas, a doctor of chiropractic can work on animals only under the supervision of a veterinarian. Clements works with veterinarian Davy Harkins in El Dorado.

See rest of article at:

http://www.kansas.com/living/pets/story/605981.html
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

There isn't any of that around here but I'm sure it would go over well.

How long is the training?
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
k9mania
Administrator

In California, you must either be a vet also trained in chiropractic or a human chiropractor who learns about animals and does either both or just horses or small pets.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
In California, you must either be a vet also trained in chiropractic or a human chiropractor who learns about animals and does either both or just horses or small pets.
Wow...I didn't think it would be that detailed! Interesting
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Tuckerdad
Been Around A While

I see a chiroprator once a month for back pain. On my on my first visit, he had me watcha video about what chiropratic was and how it worked and how it helped the entire body, I love it. If there was a animal chiroprator around here, my boy would be going.
Tuckerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Health > Holistic Treatments