Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment » Fun mental games for puppies

Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
PennysMom
Site Regular

Fun mental games for puppies

Looking for suggestions on fun games and mentally stimulating games for incredibly active and smart dogs. Penny is 7months and we go to the park for at least 1 -2 hours a day and for a walk around the neighborhood, basic training, and more playing at home in the backyard. We've started to take toys and create them into games, like hiding a toy for her to find, or putting toys inside of other toys and she gets them apart without destroying them. We are running out of games and tricks to do, she's gotten to quick and gets bored with the few games/toys we have created. I know there are other games/toys out there but they seem expensive. We are hoping to start her in a tricks class soon too. What things do you all do with your dogs that are high energy and need lots of mentally challenging things to do as well?

Thanks
PennysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Michael has some great games for pooches if I could find his post on it. I've started using some of his ideas on my guys and they're great! www.abetterdog4u.com
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
dobetaztic
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to dobetaztic
i find some games also helpful to play that increase obedience, like playing hide and seek while out let your puppy go off in front of you and hide behind a tree and call this keeps them alert and looking for you to make sure you dont run away its a great way to keep your dog focused on you even though they are exploring their surroundings.

another is to get the whole family to join in a game of doggie in the middle each have a little treet and then you call pup to you dont go inturn but mix who calls when, even have people in different rooms so pup has to run to find them good to get children involved in this too so pup learns to listen to them too.

for tricks i use clicker training, where first to tuen the pup to learning that click means reward coming then when that done you can click and reward behaviours the puppy displays such as bowing when they stretch you click and reward every time you see it then put name to it such as bow, or sit or spin what ever they doing. good to get a book or mail me and will go into clicker training in more detail.
if your house looks like its been hit by a tornado your owned by a dobermann RIP Lyric, Caito, Daimler, Autumn, Hope and Archie see you at Rainbow Bridge My heart is broken, all of you gone in one year, run free, play hard and wait for me.
dobetaztic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobetaztic View Post
i find some games also helpful to play that increase obedience, like playing hide and seek while out let your puppy go off in front of you and hide behind a tree and call this keeps them alert and looking for you to make sure you dont run away its a great way to keep your dog focused on you even though they are exploring their surroundings.
I agree on the value of that game. I sometimes climb into a tree stand and wait for her to come checking if MOM is coming behind her. That nose of hers brings her to a dead stop under the tree. I want her to learn it's HER job to keep track of me rather than the other way around.

Marie and Elsa June.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Howler
Been Around A While

we used to play hide and seek with out old springer every day he was great at it, he would sit and wait and then youd say 'go find' and off he would go. bense is quite good at it as well, charlie not so much.

we also lay scent trails down for benson which he loves and will spend hours exploring even after hes found the treat at the end.

also hiding toys is a fun one, we make sure he sees us go to several places in which we could have hidden his ball and then tell him 'find the ball' and off he goes, he checks all the places we went in the correct order its quite fascinating to watch and you can do it inside or out. even now every time he walks past a certain drawer we used to hide things in he always has a good sniff lol

charlie isnt much interested in anything other than sleep so i dont have any examples with him other than the basics of sit, stay, watch me etc
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment