Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment » Collars leave them on take them off?

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
caninejan
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninejan View Post
Bubba and my son's dog, Mary keep their flat collars on at all times. They both get weird at bath time when the collars have to come off for a short time. Kind of a security blanket thing, I guess.
Mary has her current license, current rabies tag and her ID tag on her collar at all times.
Bubba has all that plus his microchip alert tag.

I think it's all about being prepared for an emergency situation, for me. I need to know all my ducks are in a row, and I don't have to go searching for needed items.
caninejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
The dogs go nakid except when out on walks. With show poodles, you can't leave collars on as it destroy's the neck hair. Even with shorter cuts, I find the collars rub and cause the coat to matt in the area.

My dogs are chipped and I have heard of situations with friends where their dog has gotten hung by their collar. I'd rather be safe than sorry when I can't supervise.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #13
huntingman
New Around Here

never used a collar... i use slip leads...
huntingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #14
kiya
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to kiya
i don't mind collars, but my fiance does not really like them, so there's no collars on my dogs haha xx
with our dogs being hunting/working dogs, going through brambles an things to flush out rabbits etc, there collars could get caught ect, xx

Last edited by kiya : 09-28-2008 at 12:17 AM.

kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I would not want to leave a collar on a hunting dog either. There's the danger of it getting caught on something. I do put their collars on when I'm hiking with my dogs, but they're never far from me.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #16
dogsrme
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to dogsrme Send a message via Yahoo to dogsrme
Sandy has her's on all day and it is only taken off during a bath or if we go swimming in the lake.

**Just a simple country boy with a dog**

"I wanna stop and ask your name, take a pic of your pretty face, shout to heaven,
steal a kiss, lay the world at your thrown, I wanna beg you to be mine, for the rest of both our lives, instead I catch my breath, shake my head and walk on"
dogsrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
kiya
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to kiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingman View Post
never used a collar... i use slip leads...

my fiance had a lurcher called rusty, she was a working dog to, an he had slip leads for her,

kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Mine all have flat buckle collars on all the time too. Ty loves his collars, even the shocker one for the yard. I leave it on him all the time too because Rocky knows how to open the sliding glass door and if in the event someone does lock the safety latch, not just the lock because he can do that too, but the little safety one, they will all get out. I can't ever loose my little baby and with out that shock collar he will be over that fence in a second. My fear with that is at night he would chase something so far he couldn't get back home. So best to be safe then sorry.
Mine all for the most part love there collars, all but Keegan. She will get used to it though. I buy them new ones all the time.
oh, and as long as we are on this subject, if anyone in there internet travels comes across matching ones I would be so happy. I want ones with print on them, and I want one color for the boys probably like black or blue and another with the same print but in red or pink. Oh, and they have to be the big ones like two inches across. If anyone see's some for a reasonable price let me know. I have found some really fancy sites that have some for like $40 a collar. I can't afford that with nine of them. Even Lupine doesn't have anything like that.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #19
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Off inside and on outside.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #20
Danielle
Been Around A While

I use Martingales (show leads) on my guys because Napoleon is in a continental and a collar would ruin his coat. Sophie is in a Lamb clip but I still would rather not use a collar as it can matt the area if you arent careful.

So no, my little guys go naked!

Abbi on the other hand has a huge pink studded collar that she wears at all times. Being on rural property it is a must. She looks too much like a dingo and if she were to roam onto another neighbouring property without a collar she would almost definately be shot. Just a security measure to let the local farmers know she is a pet.
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment