Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Excessive noise ordinance comes with fines

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Excessive noise ordinance comes with fines

Excessive noise ordinance for dog owners OK'd by Chicago City Council

Owners of dogs making excessive noise that "unnecessarily disturbs" their human neighbors soon will face fines of $50 to $250 a day under an ordinance Chicago aldermen approved Wednesday.

Under the measure, which takes effect Nov. 17, the noise would have to occur continually for at least 10 minutes or intermittently for "a significant portion of the night." It also would have to be louder than the average conversation at a distance of 100 feet or more.

Police or animal control officials could make that determination, or three residents from different addresses could sign a complaint.

"It's not designed against the dog lovers," said sponsoring Ald. Richard Mell, 33rd. "It's against people who let their dogs sit out and bark all night or all day."

Here's how the measure defines excessive noise: "repeated or habitual barking, whining, crying, howling (and) whimpering." It's aimed at dogs but applies to any animal.

see rest of article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1268285.story
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Oh LORDY...Everyone in our neighborhood has dogs that bark all day/all night. We have had to call them in before...Especially the ones across the street from us. Our family <3s dogs, but if you leave your windows open in the cool nights say goodbye to sleeping well becuase of the constant howls!!! I dont think there should be a fine really...but then again how are they going to take the issue seriously...
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Well many states already have this sort of law. The process is more formal though. If a dog is making it so that you don't enjoy your own property (either because of smell, sound, etc) you can write to that person that if they can't fix the problem you will take the matters to a small claims court. Guess now its a bit easier though.lol. Well people should learn to control their dogs, so I'm OK with this, maybe a good incentive for some to get their dogs trained or enlist the help of someone.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Momto3
Been Around A While

One of my neighbors here gave me holy you know what once cause he *saw* my dog in the driveway at 03:00 which set off my across-the-street neighbors' minpin and my neighbor needed his sleep. No amount of telling him my dogs were NOT outside at that hour would calm him down. He was sorely ticked at me! When I asked him what the dog looked like, he near perfectly described a possum. Blonde, long scrawny tail... Dude - look at my dogs! Do you see any tails?! Didn't matter to him...it was my dog that started all the ruckus!

I can grant you one thing - my dogs are noisy as all get out! The one rescue I adopted two years ago and was supposedly de-barked found his voice and he will NOT keep quiet! My newest has such a shrill bark that it hurts MY ears! Thing is...I've been here for 15 years and was here before you moved in - deal with it! I do try to keep them quiet but they are dogs...dogs bark.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory