Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » list of 75 banned/restricted breeds in US

Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Here's a little info I gathered looking up flights~~~

Continental Airlines~~~>
They restrict pit bulls.
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannalabs View Post
This list is complete BS. I wish some people would stop, take a step back and see who the real problem is - US (as in "the human race" ) . Ugh, and my friends wonder why I prefer my 4-legged kids over humans.

This can be answered easily... Have you ever done a web search for Labrador Retriever Breeders ? If not, do one.
Have you ever read thru a few online classifieds to see how many Lab puppies are for sale ? If not, do so.

How many of these "breeders" actually give a hoot about the breed , non the less, about dogs in general ? Many websites you go to will answer your question on if they are good or scum (sorry, but that's what I lower them to). I am so sick of people breeding just because they can, care nothing for their dogs nor their breed nor do they care about the ripple effect THEIR breeding causes. This goes for EVERY breed of Dog. It's not so hard to catch on why Labs are getting heat.. Look how many are being bred by greedy or down right uneducated twits.. Then there are the uneducated buyers who these twits are feeding their BS to. Ask one of these "breeders" a question about their Labs, why they breed, health testing and WHY they choose to breed EACH dog. You'll get fed their BS about why their dogs and their lines are Healthy, so there is no need to health tests . About how they breed to "better the breed" and each dog is bred because it has a "good temperament".. Do they really know what a proper Labrador temperament is ? What about what a PROPER Labrador looks like ? I doubt it !

Ok, I'm done ranting..
I looked in our paper today, and their are a lot of labs, but there are way more German Shepherds. WAY more. Yes, all breeds have the unethical breeders, but thats not a reason to BAN all these breeds. The one breed who has been misbred/overbred are the pits. I like the breed myself, but the "macho" image has caused so much irresponsibility in breeding, that they are really the only breed that has caused problems with attacks on people(mainly children), so I can see restrictions on them. When was the last time a lab, or pug for instance caused problems of that sort? There are unfortunantly irresponsible breeders in all breeds, but only a VERY select few have caused major problems resulting in dangerous dogs that attach.
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #23
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannalabs View Post
This list is complete BS. I wish some people would stop, take a step back and see who the real problem is - US (as in "the human race" ) . Ugh, and my friends wonder why I prefer my 4-legged kids over humans.

This can be answered easily... Have you ever done a web search for Labrador Retriever Breeders ? If not, do one.
Have you ever read thru a few online classifieds to see how many Lab puppies are for sale ? If not, do so.

How many of these "breeders" actually give a hoot about the breed , non the less, about dogs in general ? Many websites you go to will answer your question on if they are good or scum (sorry, but that's what I lower them to). I am so sick of people breeding just because they can, care nothing for their dogs nor their breed nor do they care about the ripple effect THEIR breeding causes. This goes for EVERY breed of Dog. It's not so hard to catch on why Labs are getting heat.. Look how many are being bred by greedy or down right uneducated twits.. Then there are the uneducated buyers who these twits are feeding their BS to. Ask one of these "breeders" a question about their Labs, why they breed, health testing and WHY they choose to breed EACH dog. You'll get fed their BS about why their dogs and their lines are Healthy, so there is no need to health tests . About how they breed to "better the breed" and each dog is bred because it has a "good temperament".. Do they really know what a proper Labrador temperament is ? What about what a PROPER Labrador looks like ? I doubt it !

Ok, I'm done ranting..

That is not why they ban breeds, but I agree with you. There are a lot of breeders out there who should not be breeding. Even tho some say "Mine are healthy and look at thier bloodlines", it's more likely for the money. Most people don't know what a Proper any breed dog looks like, they just found two registered purebreds and want to make a buck and mate them. Most, NOT ALL. I have heard some people that used to be on the site, give lectures about how good thier dogs were, how healthy, how blah blah. Then it comes out that they don't even do health checks! And, that "good" breeder even posts out COUPONS to a classified page Sickning, if you ask me when poor dogs are sitting in shelters.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #24
dobesgalore
Been Around A While

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weesha1717 View Post
That is not why they ban breeds, but I agree with you. There are a lot of breeders out there who should not be breeding. Even tho some say "Mine are healthy and look at thier bloodlines", it's more likely for the money. Most people don't know what a Proper any breed dog looks like, they just found two registered purebreds and want to make a buck and mate them. Most, NOT ALL. I have heard some people that used to be on the site, give lectures about how good thier dogs were, how healthy, how blah blah. Then it comes out that they don't even do health checks! And, that "good" breeder even posts out COUPONS to a classified page Sickning, if you ask me when poor dogs are sitting in shelters.
Well said!
dobesgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #25
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
That is not why they ban breeds, but I agree with you. .
Oh, but it has MUCH to do with breed bans. Backard breeders don't care about the health of the puppies or what sort of home they're going to. When people are breeding simply because of popularity, quality diminishes.
My vet recently told me that he was starting to see more and more aggressive labs. They're popular. They're being overbred. And they're ending up in shelters by the thousands. Today, there are 17,951 Labrador Retrievers looking for homes on Petfinder. There are only 9007 "Pitbulls'. Sure, many shelters kill Pitts instead of offering them up for adoption, but even so, I'd say there are plenty of people breeding labs without screening them for suitability in any way at all. Obviously, there are breeders who don't care where the cute little bundles end up, so long as they rake in cash.

Aggression can't be measured by the size of the dog. A Fox Terrier can do tremendous damage to an infant.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Oh, but it has MUCH to do with breed bans. Backard breeders don't care about the health of the puppies or what sort of home they're going to. When people are breeding simply because of popularity, quality diminishes.
My vet recently told me that he was starting to see more and more aggressive labs. They're popular. They're being overbred. And they're ending up in shelters by the thousands. Today, there are 17,951 Labrador Retrievers looking for homes on Petfinder. There are only 9007 "Pitbulls'. Sure, many shelters kill Pitts instead of offering them up for adoption, but even so, I'd say there are plenty of people breeding labs without screening them for suitability in any way at all. Obviously, there are breeders who don't care where the cute little bundles end up, so long as they rake in cash.

Aggression can't be measured by the size of the dog. A Fox Terrier can do tremendous damage to an infant.

Wow, I never though of it that way. Almost 18,000 labs on there???? OMG!! Why in the world are people still breeding them then?????
Old 02-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #27
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
Wow, I never though of it that way. Almost 18,000 labs on there???? OMG!! Why in the world are people still breeding them then?????
Money.

It's certainly not to better the breed.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #28
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I think potential dog owners should have to take some sort of test before they are allowed to get ANY dog. I wish there was a way to enforce something like that..... Like ppl with aggressive personality traits wouldn't be allowed a dog of any kind.

That said, OMG a french bulldog was on the list! wow. PPl's ignorance amazes me everyday, but in a very bad way.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #29
Beckie3889
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Beckie3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadMoreFunAtHell View Post
And the Japanese Tosa has been banned in the UK for no reason, there has never been a Tosa attack in the UK, yet it's banned.
Yeah i know. I think they are banned just because they are a 'fighting dog' Thats what i was told anyway. I dont even know what they look like. Never seen a pic of one. might have a look now on net. curious
Beckie3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #30
rannalabs
Site Regular

Quote:
Bybrs are still breeding for the money...(true) Reputable breeders are still breeding, because they don't want to see the Lab go even further down hill. I want to see Bybrs/millers stop breeding, but I don't want to see true ethical breeder stop.. Where would Labs be, if they did ???? Same goes for all breeds really.

~ Becky n Crew ~
Labrador Retrievers- A Breed Like No Other

rannalabs is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory