Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies » Welcome to the Puppy Training Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Welcome to the Puppy Training Forum

Knowing how to properly socialize and train puppies may mean the difference between dogs that end up in a shelter, on the street, being put down and those that become bonafide members of the family. There may be general principles but the more one knows about different training methods the better prepared one will be to adapt those methods to their puppy.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Unregistered

Puppy health...

I have a question about a 5 wk old chihuahua. Sorry if I am in the wrong thread.. this is the closest one I could find about a puppy. Anyway my puppy has a pretty good size white bump on his head... I have never seen anything like it.. any ideas on what this could be? I have a pic if someone thinks they might know...I can't take them to get shots til' right at 6 weeks old. But I am kind of worried about him.. She is a black chi. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not... Any help... would be appreciated at this time..
Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
9pups
New Around Here

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
Knowing how to properly socialize and train puppies may mean the difference between dogs that end up in a shelter, on the street, being put down and those that become bonafide members of the family. There may be general principles but the more one knows about different training methods the better prepared one will be to adapt those methods to their puppy.
Hello, I'm new to this board.
9pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
9pups
New Around Here

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9pups View Post
Hello, I'm new to this board.
Do you have any ideas on training puppies?
9pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
toppers
Been Around A While

training pups

toilet training, obedience training - what kind of training do you want info on?
Toppers -feeding dogs the natural way!
toppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Carol
Been Around A While

With my two adopted older dogs, I had the chore of rehousetraining both of them. They are doing wonderfully. Casey stands in front of the back door and if I do not respond, she will scratch.
Jake is a prolific pee machine and drinks a lot which I will investigate with the vet but the only accident was when he first arrived. The 2 of them go out together and I have been successful at getting them to stay in a certain section of my yard and come right back in when done.

The great success that I have achieved this week is a biggie in this house!

I have taught them to "stay" while I answer the door or any time I am about to open the door for any reason.
I am successful over 95% of the time. Casey sometimes breaks the stay because she is so excited if someone is on the other side of the door.
But lots of praises when they do it right.
I find this is such an important thing for dogs to be able to do because it was absolute chaos at the door everytime the doorbell rang.

Casey is 6 and Jake is 10

Who says you cannot teach an older dog new tricks? NONSENSE

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
May209
Been Around A While

Puppie training is essential to having a happy family. Find a good puppy training and socializing class. 5 weeks is a bit young to have out and about yet. Worry about disease. But after a couple set of puppy shots would be a good time. How come soooo young????
May209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
shell
Been Around A While

I have a question about my 8-month-old miniature dachshund cross; he has been well socialized with big dogs- he plays great with my white shepherd cross and with my dad's shepherd pup. The problem is that he now plays too rough with the pups his size. He's not vicious or anything- he's just used to the bigger dogs. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to get him to settle down with the smaller dogs before one of them decides to take a chunk out of him.
shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
May209
Been Around A While

I don't think that they will take a chunck out of him but if he is playing too rough usually the other pup will let them know and they do that with their mouths just like mom does with them. Dogs get to know limits with each other through their mouths. We spank or ground our kids dogs bite each other. glad I'm not a dog!!!!
May209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
It could be an absess. It is like a giant infectous zit. Antibiotics are probably required. I would be at the vets.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Puppies