Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression » How do I handle "backbarking"?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
vmills
New Around Here

Question How do I handle "backbarking"?

When a human child (or adult) talks back, it's not necessarily a good thing. But what's a puppy communicating when he backbarks?

Example:
Pup is chewing on a shoe. Owner says "No" and removes the shoe. Pup backs up a little, looks directly at owner, and barks loudly a few times. I call it backbark. It looks like an agressive move that somehow should be handled, but how?
vmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Momto3
Been Around A While

Ignore it. I just adopted Merlin in May and he has a growl that I thought meant aggression but towards me? He's been on Nothing In Life Is Free for a bit now cause he does have an aggressive side to him towards my other dogs. Last time he growled at me I called his bluff and we rough-housed (gently) for a few minutes. Some dogs are just vocal. Monte will sit over his favorite ball and growl and bark until someone plays with him. Scared me at first but he's just daring me to play. Once I get the ball and toss it the tail waggies go on and on!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
vmills
New Around Here

Question Merlin is a Cocker Spaniel?

Merlin is a Cocker Spaniel? How old?
vmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

I dont think is "Aggression" it sounds more like a "protest" to me. He's probably saying "Hey, that's MY shoe ... Give it back, I wasnt done with it yet!"

If you are taking the shoe, you need to say a Sharp "NO" in a firm and calm tone. This lets him know that that is not a behaivor you will allow! But as you take the shoe, you need to replace it with a toy or some other "Exceptible" item that he CAN chew on. If he continues to "backbark" you need to put a leash on him and make him sit and stay. This will show him you mean business. When he calms down you can remove thwe leash.

Dont forget to reward him for GOOD behaivor. When he take the new toy and plays with it, lavish praise and petting should be used. Giving a treat should NOT be given as it would only remove his attention from the toy that you just gave him.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

*sigh* I'm keeping my opinions to myself as they have nothing to do with the question.
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I have had to deal with this with Tigger, if you go into the backyard, he will constantly bark for you to play with him. He has a huge ball he will bring to you, drop to your feet and bark. If I ignored him, he would bark more, if you sat down anywhere he would get in anyones face and bark.

What he was saying was "PLAY WITH ME PLAY WITH ME NOW RAWRRRRRRRR NOW MOM PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY"

I asked my trainer what the heck was up with it, and she showed me to grab his mussle, spin him around once, and hold him like that till he relaxed.

Tigger had this habit for months, considering he is only 1 year old now, seems like 90% of his puppyhood he did this, and a few "sessions" of the spin and hold did the trick, he no longer back-talk-barks.

I belive you can transfer this to any situation where your dog barks at you, it is a sign the dog wants attention right then and there, and if you give it to them they learn bark=attention.

This maybe off the wall, or wierd to yall but it works, something about it makes the dog stop...and it does not hurt him....maybe ill make a youtube of this to show what I mean.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Momto3
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmills View Post
Merlin is a Cocker Spaniel? How old?
Yes he is a cocker spaniel and he is just two years old. I've had three cockers now that are very vocal. They *talk* just all the time. Have to figure out when they are being poopheads or when they are asking to please play.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
sizzledobes
Site Regular

Ignore it and walk away - most dogs hate nothing more than being ignored.
sizzledobes is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression