Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression » My dog is terrified of all other dogs HELP!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Puppylover_159
New Around Here

My dog is terrified of all other dogs HELP!

My dog, Kallie, has had a rough past...If you dont wanna hear it just skip to the bottom paragraph...We got her from a dog hoarder and took her in at not even a 1/2 year old. We got her in 2002...Everything was fine untill this year. She was outside because it was summer and she usually doesnt stray from the yard so we didnt put her on her rope...big mistake. I went for a bike ride and stopped at a public park since my friends were there...I called to see if I could stay and My bro answered and told me Kallie was hurt...bad...by a pit bull...I ran home with my bff Cari, she insited on coming...and then I got home they were at the vet already...I ran there as fast as possible and it was one second to late...they had left for a better pet hospital where they could give her to emegency surgery she needed. I went home in tears and waited my mom got back and told me she didnt look like she was gonna make it and just be prepared for the worst...so i did...but she made it after 2 weeks she was home! The wounds had to stay open but...Now 4 1/2 months later she's sitting happily beside me as I type but she has a problem...
She now wont have any contact with other dogs...volintarily...She TERRIFIED! Idk what to do...she's my baby though and I dont want her to be afraid of all dogs because of her experience with one...

Thanks for helping Kate and Kallie!
Puppylover_159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

My neurotic border hid under a bench at flyball practice for almost 11/2 years from her own teammates She was a companion for a champion big Hound dog. I believe they beat her up with their rough play before I got her. She is a fear biter and I must watch her. But if you expose her to other dogs at a distance and reward her for not exhibiting submissive or fear behaviors (food and praise) and don't push her any closer than you can. When she sees that they will not hurt her at that distance, you can get a bit closer. Don't push it. When doing this, you cannot let her feel through your body language that you are worried about her reaction. Blaze can now go to a dog beach or dog park and because she is on voice command, she can play ball with me and her sisters without always looking over her shoulder. If someone in the park or beach has a dog that keeps bothering her, I let her snap. Then they get mad at me and I remind them that my dog was with me and under my command. It took a lot of patience. I believe those Coonhounds mauled her as a pup, playfully or not she did not see it that way. Good luck.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Puppylover_159
New Around Here

Thanks for the help! I'll try it!
Puppylover_159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Consider an introduction to a small, non-nippy, non-aggressive dog at first through a fence. Have the small dog in a kennel for the introduction so that she can get comfortable in the vacinity of other dogs (like k9Mania said) while still being safe herself.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression