Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression » Welcome to the Canine Aggression Forum

Old 09-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Welcome to the Canine Aggression Forum

At the first sign of aggression, it must be dealt with. How one deals with it may be the difference between putting the dog down or someone being bit or having a dog that can function as a family member. There are many schools of thought on how to work with aggressive dogs. This is a critical area where the exchange of ideas and methods can save a dog or person's life. We all have training and personal experiences with different breeds, types of owners, and in different situations. The more we share, the more our K9 companions will benefit.
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
minnie
New Around Here

Send a message via MSN to minnie
question

could someone tell me how to speak to users on line to chat
minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
J_O_H_N_mcgrath
New Around Here

halo minnie my name is john i was wondering if u have found any gd forums to chat on if so could you please let me know thanks my email address isJ_O_H_N_mcgrath@yahoo.co.uk jd
J_O_H_N_mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Carol
Been Around A While

I chickened out and took a dog I knew was not aggressive at all. I suspect if I had a puppy that turned out to be aggressive towards other dogs or people I would first call in an expert to help me with this problem. I called the experts for a Lab I had when I could not get her to obey me, luckily before she injured me with her bad habit of running and knocking me over. The right head harness and my learning new techniques worked so I was very lucky and very grateful.
I see very aggressive dogs in my neighbourhood and poor Casey has been attacked a couple of times. It is a terrifying experience when someone with an aggressive dog that is heavier than they are, has no control over their dog's behaviour around other small animals. Dogs like that end up being muzzled when in public. Sad situation....most of the time it is correctable I would think if it started in puppy stage and was handled immediately.
I have grandchildren and never would want an aggressive dog in my home. I f I was choosing a puppy I would go for the more submissive one. I tend to look for the gentle adults though and skip the chewing and potty training LOL
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Chiledog
New Around Here

I could use some advice on "dog on dog" aggression. A very friendly dog with people and with some dogs, but he seems to pick another dog out and jump him. No blood, but lots of growling and mouth on body contact. The dog is very attentive, except when he flips out over one other dog. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Chiledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Carol
Been Around A While

If your dog is only showing aggression sporadically, I bet he could benefit with an obedience training refresher to make him extremely obedient so that you can correct the behaviour when you sense it starting.
The one thing I have always spent my money on with a larger stronger dog, is obedience training, as much as it took to put me in control and not have a dog that could ever get away with bad behaviour. It is money well spent and it lengthens the dog's life and makes him much nicer to take out in public.
Welcome Chiledog...we love photos...

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Benji
New Around Here

I believe that in 99% of cases if you get a dog when it is a puppy and raise it correctly then there is no reason for it to be aggressive with humans or other dogs.Unfortunately there are many submissive owners who own headstrong confident dogs who simply consider themselves to be the pack leader and resultingly dont pay a blind bit of notice to their owners.There are also the scumbag losers of this world who openly encourage aggression in their dogs and more often than not it is someone elses dog who becomes the unfortunate victim.I have a four year old labrador retriever which i have twice had to take to the vets after it has been attacked.After confronting the owners i was left in no doubt as to where the blame for their dogs aggression lies.Whatever the reason behind the aggression vicious dogs should always be kept on a leash which should be common sense for anyone with more than two braincells.
For the person asking for advice for "dog on dog" aggression the best way of dealing with this would be to divert your pets attention away from the other dog and onto you.One way of doing this would be to keep your dog on a leash and as soon as it shows signs of aggression just tap its hind with the side of your heel to regain its attention on you.You don't have to do it hard but make sure that it startles your dog.It may not be a quick fix but in time your animals aggression can be controlled.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
Carol
Been Around A While

Yes, the dog has to understand that you are the pack leader and that you will not reward bad behaviour but you will praise good behaviour.
I learned with the Lab I had that she was the sweetest thing ever but if she got it in her head to do something, I had to have control because she weighed a lot more than I did LOL.
I cannot stress enough how important obedience is. A trainer can tell you where you are letting the dog be the leader. They observe and help you correct bad habits. The training is really for the owner LOL.
Worth every penny.

Jake - Rainbow Bridge 12/19/08

Adopted by: Casey the Cocker 8 yrs
and Tia the ShihTzu 6 months
in Peterborough ONT Canada
Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
1dogbreeds
Site Regular

if dog gets or try to get really aggressive , then i ignore them, and when they feel ignored they just throw away there aggression and behaves normally. this is what works with my dog i am not sure about any other dogs though.
Dogs rule! Which is your favorite dog training method?
1dogbreeds is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > Aggression