Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » Afraid of traffic

Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
2dogscrzy4ball
Been Around A While

Question Afraid of traffic

Since newyears I'm trying to walk more with my dogs. They do great except for Katy. She does great everywhere but the road. Ever since she was big enough to go for walks we've walked to work (from my parent's house). She has always been nervous of the traffic coming up behind her. I don't know what triggered this. I need to walk during my lunch hour so that means walking on the main road (sidewalks) and LOTS of traffic wizzing by her. What can I do to ease her nervousness of traffic?
2dogscrzy4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
grizzle
Been Around A While

Hey 2Dogs

That's a good one and one I don't have much experience at but fear is fear. Please don't take this wrong but my guess is maybe your just a little bit nervous about walking them so close to traffic. This can translate right down the leash. Try and keep in a very positive, calm mood when walking, Whistle or sing as your walking. Don't let your dog stop or cower or look back when a car passes. Use treats now and then if they will take it, some will not when nervous. If your walking two dogs keep the fearful one on the inside next to you. Keep your head up and move forward and ignore everything. Confronting the fears is the best way to get rid of it. Every now and then stop and just stand and watch traffic go by again giving treats now and then if they will take it. Enough practice and I'm sure your dog will come out of it. It just takes lots of practice and you giving the right signals.
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Weesha1717
Sounds like this can be a possitive and a negative. The possitive being, if she ever got loose her last resort would be to run across or near the road. But, acting calm and trying to relax her nerves can help her overcome this fear. Maybe jogging getting her mind off the traffic may help?
Having fun enjoying the West...One adventure after another!
Weesha1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Mari
Been Around A While

I would do everything Grizzle says except I would take her some times to the road and just staand there for a awhile 5-10 min and then turn and walk awy from the raod. Katy will get use to the sound and the moving cars. Give her time and don't be harsh with her. Lots of praise when she sits pretty for the trafic.
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
J. Hall
Banned

Reply>

I find nothing possitive on this issue The dog can get so scared it would run into the road thus causing something bad to happen. Grizzle is right possitive attitude try getting louder, sing to the dog, Call the dog whatever I say Come on lets go!! Never Start out jogging and some folks cannot jog with a dog anyway. The dog is already wanting to run away so that will not help you trust me. The correct way is to make her confront the issue with a slower pace but solid encouragement from you.. Say that its OK there will be nothing happening to you on this trip. Tell her your a good girl lets go when she starts to tuck her tail give her a nudge foward at the same time saying, lets go!! And then when the car passes say, good girl!! lets go!! Never stop if she gets crazy and never start running with her. Good luck!
And note it is never good that a dog has fear of cars. Now fear of getting hit is another thing all together.

This is alot like braking a gun shy dog. Stay consistant and it will get better.
J. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

I disagree. I feel that if a dog is fearful of the road, they are less likely willing to go by it. Meaning, if they were to venture off on their own and get lost, the road would not be a place of intrest. There is no possitive in fearing cars, and being deathly afraid, but a small fear could help save their lives. Take example a small child, fearing the road, he/she is less likely to go by it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
J. Hall
Banned

Reply>

Unattended small children should not be by the road, But if the situation arises Id be happy knowing that my child knew how to cross the road , Look for cars ect... Instead of cowering down and maybe causing a wreck that my either hurt you or someone else. Kinda like a dog stuck on the side of the road people looking as they pass not knowing a person is slowing down to help the dog they slam into the back of the car in front of them causing a serious accident now the dog just wittnessed all this and it seems like a huge ordeal I know but it can happen in seconds. With the right training the dog can either cross the road successfully or walk along it without problems. You see there is never a reason for a passer by to slow down to help thus the accident never happening.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

A small child for example;two years old dosen't have the mental capibility of crossing the the road mentally. No child should ever be left unattended, but accidents do happen. I would rather know that my child dosen't go near the road, rather to try and use the little sence a 2 year old has and try and cross it. but, everyone has their own opinion
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
J. Hall
Banned

Reply>

Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Weesha1717
Been Around A While

Ok? There is room now.

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training