Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Los Angeles Spay/Neuter Law-what do you think?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

Los Angeles Spay/Neuter Law-what do you think?

Will L.A.'s dog-neutering law have enough bite?

By Dana Bartholomew, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 09/29/2008 11:03:22 PM PDT

ENCINO - Whenever Pourang "P.J." Javaheri let his schnauzer-terrier loose in the dog park, it was love unleashed. Neither boy dogs, girl dogs nor humanity itself could be spared Spi's advances.
"He's crazy," said Javaheri, 41, of his canine Casanova's romp through the Sepulveda Basin Off-Leash Dog Park last week. "Tomorrow morning, at 8 o'clock, he's going to be fixed.
"His family jewels are history."
Javaheri vowed to join conscientious pet owners across Los Angeles to sterilize their dogs and cats before enforcement Wednesday of the city's spay/neuter law. With some exemptions, the law requires animals more than 4 months old to be fixed. Owners who refuse face fines starting at $100, then $500, then misdemeanor prosecution.
Proponents say it's the only way to reduce the thousands of unwanted dogs and cats killed each year at city shelters.
"Spay/neuter is the cheapest way to save as many lives as possible in our animal shelters," said Ed Boks, general manager of the Los Angeles Animal Services department. "... (But) it's a very complicated law to enforce, to be sure." In an audit last month, City Controller Laura Chick found the department ill-prepared to enforce the sterilization law. Not only has the department no plan to promote public awareness, Chick said, but no plan for enforcement

See rest of article:

http://www.dailynews.com:80/news/ci_10595194
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I agree with the law but I think 4 months is too young to make them be fixed. It should be around 6 months old or more, up to a year...

I am curious how this will work out, if anyone actually gets prosicuted. I am glad something has finnaly started, and I hope it becomes nationwide.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I don't think it's 100% perfect, but have to agree with it. So many people swear they're good breeders when they're not, so many puppies are born each year without enough homes to go to. So many dogs are throw aways when they get older, and then end up spending their last days on earth in shelters. I'm glad they're trying to make a difference!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

They won't get much in the way of compliance if it is strictly voluntary. We have a pet license by-law in my city and I know for a fact that the majority of cats and dogs don't have one. It is only when the dog becomes problematic and when animal control is called in will that animal be looked at. In a city the size of LA how many animals do you honestly think are going to be hit with this fine? It is a start, although I think it isn't nearly enough.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
They won't get much in the way of compliance if it is strictly voluntary. We have a pet license by-law in my city and I know for a fact that the majority of cats and dogs don't have one. It is only when the dog becomes problematic and when animal control is called in will that animal be looked at. In a city the size of LA how many animals do you honestly think are going to be hit with this fine? It is a start, although I think it isn't nearly enough.
It depends on the animal services sector, some cities seem to be more effective than others. More than 90% of dogs taken to our city pounds are found to have licences and are given back to their owners. Only a small percentage is euthanized and that is only if they are declared unadoptable. Calgary is considered one of the best cities in North America for animal services.

It may just be a fluke, but maybe some could take a lesson and see if whatever people are using up here works in other locations. I'd prefur not to have a manditory spay/neuter because it does make breeding an even bigger challenge for reputable people.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
gsdmama
Been Around A While

This bill was actually AB 1634. It was a no go in Sacramento. It was suppose to be for all of California. L.A. decided to enforce it. I found out last week on the 11:00 news that all dogs and cats in the city of Los Angeles must be spayed/neutered by 10/1 or face fines. This is to help the shelters and rescue organizations.

The following breeders, show dogs and guide dogs, therapy dogs would have to get a permit. Also this would only allow permitted breeders to have so many litters a year.

I was in a panic thinking that I had to get Elsa fixeed by the first. I made several phone calls to find out more information. I live in the County of LA so this does not pertain to where I live, but Elsa will still be getting spayed next month.

I am glad about this because it will help the shelters and hopefully stop puppy mills and backyard breeders.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory