Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories » DIY Halloween Costumes for your canine companion

Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
k9mania
Administrator

DIY Halloween Costumes for your canine companion

DIY Halloween costumes for your pet, from full-fledged patterns to thrift store creations

LOS ANGELES — Halloween’s coming up and with a little DIY ingenuity, you can turn your dog or cat into a bee, bear or badger. Whether you are planning for a parade, party, photo session, contest or trick-or-treating, a homemade costume for your pet can make it more fun for both of you.
You can start from scratch or go half-scratch, adding bling, attitude or accessories to human hand-me-downs or garage sale or thrift store finds. The McCall Pattern Co. Even even sells several patterns for pets.

Lisa Woodruff of Huntington Beach, Calif., builds whole floats around costume concepts so her pugs, stepsisters Olive and Mochi, can take part in the Haute Dog Howl’oween Parade and Costume Contest in Long Beach, Calif. They’ve attended the event, held annually on the last Sunday in October, for seven years.

The pugs have been geisha girls, fish, sushi, surfers, flowers, “pupcakes” and amateur movers. “The costumes have to be comfortable and dog friendly,” said Woodruff. “They can’t be completely indestructible, but they are dogs so they (the costumes) have to be durable.”She shops on Craigslist and carves a lot of Styrofoam. The year Olive and Mochi were pupcakes, she started with inverted, pleated lampshades and painted them.

See rest of article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...7cL_story.html
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
puggie_momma
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to puggie_momma Send a message via MSN to puggie_momma Send a message via Yahoo to puggie_momma
I have three pugs and the price for Halloween costumes is ridiculous! there have been years where I've spend upwards of $100 for costumes that they wear for a few hours on Halloween night. So i would love to hear some DIY costume ideas. Please if you have any post them for us!
puggie_momma is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories