Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Book Club » Merle's Door

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Sadie05
Site Regular

Merle's Door

Great book: I had to do a book report for school about a book. I choosed Merle's Door. Great book for dog lovers/owners. I got an A+ on the book report. Below is my book reaport about the book.
Enjoy!

Plot:
It all started with a dog name Merle and a guy named Ted who found each other in the Utah desert. Ted was driving with a few of his friends to find a place to rest since they had a river trip that next day. Merle was about 10 months old at the time, all alone and surviving on his own. Ted was forty-one years old who likes to write about animals and was actually looking for a dog to be a companion. It was perfect timing that the two came together. Training between the two of them went both ways. Ted taught Merle the way of the wild and Merle reshaped Ted’s ideas about how a dog’s mind works.
Ted was Merle’s translator in the book and was using Merle’s life as to step inside the world of dogs. Ted learned that the dog-human bond can be intense and that people and dogs can communicate with each other by just using body language. He also did some research on wolves and how they treat their family and learned their leadership rules among the packs.
Therefore, this book is funny, interesting and sad. Merle’s Door is a heartwarming story that reveals how the love and partnership between dogs and humans come together. It’s a must read book for dog owners or anyone who loves dogs.
Theme:
The theme centers on the fact of giving medical treatment and the teaching of modern man’s way which leads to a better fulfillment in a dog’s life. Adjusting a dog’s behavior to follow your leadership, rules and boundaries will result in a well behave dog.
Characterization:
Ted is the owner of Merle. Ted was by Merle’s side ever since he found him along a road. He would take Merle everywhere he’d go, skiing, or hunting for elk and duck. He was there for Merle when he fell ill and helped him feel conformable when Merle’s time was about to come to an end. Ted is also a compassionate and wise man could understand how his dog, Merle would feel. Ted and Merle had a special connection in which Ted could understand many of Merle’s needs and wants.
Merle is Ted’s companion. Merle was lost and left out in the middle of nowhere when he was a young puppy. As he grew, he would walk around Kelly, Wyoming checking the town out to make sure everything was running smoothly. When Ted has a bad day, Merle would be right next to him to comfort him. Merle was a devoted and obedient dog.
Brower was a golden lab with Allison as his owner. Brower and Merle would rump around town together when they were young. They would also go duck hunting as they got older. Brower would not let an unfortunate obstacle such as a tumor get in the way of a good life.
Setting:
The story began during the summer of 2007 in the desert of Moab, Utah. Ted and his five friends where getting ready for a river trip. It was midnight the day before the river trip and they were all in a small car driving to find a place to rest. Ted had driven from Jackson-Hole, Wyoming to Moab, Utah. That was when Ted found a dog named Merle which results in a life long relationship. They developed a bond/partnership that had become far more than what anyone could ever imagine between a dog and man.
Recommendation:
I would definitely recommend this author and book to anyone who loves dogs. The author expressed a great deal of information about dogs and how they go about their lives. The book has a great story line and is very adventurous. I give it 5 stars!! There was never a dull moment of reading which made it very enjoyable.
Sadie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
k9mania
Administrator

I listened to the audio tape of this book and it is great. I would highly recommend it also. Good description Sadie05. Are you reading any other books that we would be interested in?
k9mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Sadie05
Site Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9mania View Post
I listened to the audio tape of this book and it is great. I would highly recommend it also. Good description Sadie05. Are you reading any other books that we would be interested in?
Not right now.
Although I'm getting another book for X-mas called:
The Darkest Evening of the Year. By: Dean Koontz
Sounds like a good book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...ng_of_the_Year <---- I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by placing this link here. Just want you to read what the story is about.

~ Sadie05~

Last edited by Sadie05 : 12-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Sadie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

Smile Merle's door

Sounds like another good book. I'm going to get it. I'm in the book clubs. I've seen it there. So I'm going to order it.
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
LoopyLou
New Around Here

Just started this one and really enjoying it too. Have to say i didn't read most of the first post as I didn't want to spoil it
Sarah, Harry & Lou Lou
LoopyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
TTBALLMOM
Been Around A While

Just finished Merles Door and found it extraordinary. Ted's descriptive writing skills were spot on. The way he described atittudes and actions of Merles was amazing. In the book he described Merle laughing when he is pleased with something as Ha Ha Ha. Toto actually does the same thing, when something gets him excited or happy he will let out a louder than usual pant and it sounds like a little laugh HA HA HA.
Very enjoyable along with informative book which I recommend to all.
Please play ball with me, come on please!!!!
TTBALLMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I bought the book when DeeOhGee was struggling with bone cancer. I didn't read it until recently. Great book!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Labman
Been Around A While

Got it for Christmas last year. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, he is more of a writer than a dog expert. Like too many dog owners, he generalizes from his one. I am afraid his model of letting the dogs run won't work for most dogs in most of the country now.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

The book was about a human/dog bond. You don't have to be a "dog expert" to experience that.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
TTBALLMOM
Been Around A While

Guess what? In the fall of 2010 Ted Kerasote the author of Merels Door is releasing his new book called Pukka: The Pup After Merle.
About the puppy that he got earlier this year. I believe he is also coming out with another book in 2011 called Why Dogs Die Young. Should make for some interesting reading.
Please play ball with me, come on please!!!!
TTBALLMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > Book Club