Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory » Unleashing dogs in public..

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #91
lucysnewmum
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to lucysnewmum
dogs off/on leash is all about common sense and knowing your/yourdog's abilities isnt it? i have had many a compliment from other dog walkers about how well behaved lucy is and more than one "how do you get her to do that?"

ZACK
My loyal friend forever in sunshine

Gilly
lucysnewmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #92
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Thumbs up

time for another bump
Everyone knows dog is God spelled backwards..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #93
gsdmama
Been Around A While

in california all dogs have to be on a leash, even if they are in their own yard.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #94
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Exclamation

even in their own yard harsh
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #95
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Exclamation

another bump
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #96
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2boc View Post
another bump
Neka is on leash in public, but not around the yard or when we are at the neighbors.

Last edited by BetterDog4U : 04-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #97
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Elsa June is rarely ON a leash, except at the nursing home because a leash is required at all times by TDI while doing therapy work.

We walk around our local small town off leash and she has yet to chase anyone (or approach any dog) in the 4 and a half years she has been mine. We are welcome in the church, hardware store, lumber yard, library, and bank. If I need to run over to get groceries, the ladies at the bank ask me to let Elsa wait for me at the bank where she sits on a bench inside the front door until I return.

We live in the country on ten acres and have access to about 1000 more for hiking. She is loose in my yard when we're home where she watches my 2 chickens and 3 ducks and keeps the local fox away from the coop. When we leave, she is in the house or in her 2000 square foot run.

I take her hiking off lead alone or with other dogs. The exception is with a Springer who she had proved herself to be unreliable with.(They ran off and wouldn't recall) She's on a retractable leash with this dog.

If we go to the city, she is on short leash and required to walk at heel.

I know that there is some, though small, risk in Elsa's life. I weigh this against quality of life as I do with all my beloved animals. (My cats have their claws and are allowed free during the day and kept in at night. My birds are free range daytime and locked securely in a coop at night.)

As long as my dog is not a nuisance to others, I'll continue this off leash policy with her. I may someday have a dog that can't be handled this way, but this is Elsa's life and I don't make any apology for it.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #98
Furbilator
Been Around A While

Doc - In the I am Legend movie, the dog died as a result of defending his owner from two dogs who were made mad with the disease. The dog was killed by Will Smith's character (neck snapped) when she showed symptoms of the disease that had previously killed off the entire population. So your argument that the dog being 'off leash' was the cause of its death is wrong. Yes, there was a scene where the dog ran off and wouldn't recall, the scene was more for effect showing the risk of going into a darkened building possibly filled with mad, diseased human zombies, than for the dog not obeying.

Methinks the whole reason for this thread is more about the anger you feel at having your run interrupted by dogs, than about off leash rules not being applied fully. If the dogs are not harming anyone, friendly, and the owner takes command of the animals immediately (recalls, etc.) and appologies for the intrusion, then I see no reason, other than your dislike of dogs in your space, to deny them the freedom of running about just like you are. Do I think that there are four star idiot dog owners out there, definitely yes, but there are people out there that are just as stupid and THEY don't require a leash on them all the time. LOL

When my dogs are on walking pathes, on sidewalks or in areas where traffic is a concern, they are always on a leash. But while on my property, at the off leash dog park, in a field, beside or in a lake, or on a hiking trail, my dogs are allowed to roam and run and swim off leash within a reasonable distance as long as they continue to prove to me that they recall 100%. And if a person gives me a 'stern look' as if we don't have equal rights to enjoy the great outdoors I will just smile and continue on my way, ignoring the unpleasantness. I too have had my share of unwanted dog attention, but I just accept that as a fact of life when living in a city, regardless of size.

Furbs
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #99
Howler
Been Around A While

To leash or not to leash..

Saying that no dogs should be let off lead is rather extreme, all my boys are allowed off leash.

George our old springer was incredibly active and we used to have him off lead when down the woods or in the fields. He was dog and people friendly and had perfect recall, twice he was approached and attacked by other dogs. once the problem with the dogs was remedied we let him off-lead again.

Vinnie our bichon stuck to george like glue, his recall was also very good and he avoided other dogs preferring to walk near us.

Bense our lab is also allowed off-lead at the local park, down the woods and on the beach. We have never had any problems with him running away, getting lost or problems with other people and their dogs.

Charlie my staff-cross is also allowed off lead, although if there are other dogs around i check with other owners first as people tend to look at him and assume he is aggressive. He is a complete wimp, he will run a few feet ahead then come charging back surprised at his own bravery.

We live in the city, there are no dog parks here, it is perfectly legal and accepted to allow your dogs off lead in public here and there are very few 'incidents'. As for dogs getting lost after being allowed off-lead, ours have never run away, they are leashed until we get to areas they can run, they are collared and micro-chipped. I think that it is the owners decision and it depends on their confidence in their dog and the dogs level of training.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #100
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
Doc - In the I am Legend movie, the dog died as a result of defending his owner from two dogs who were made mad with the disease. The dog was killed by Will Smith's character (neck snapped) when she showed symptoms of the disease that had previously killed off the entire population. So your argument that the dog being 'off leash' was the cause of its death is wrong. Yes, there was a scene where the dog ran off and wouldn't recall, the scene was more for effect showing the risk of going into a darkened building possibly filled with mad, diseased human zombies, than for the dog not obeying.

Methinks the whole reason for this thread is more about the anger you feel at having your run interrupted by dogs, than about off leash rules not being applied fully. If the dogs are not harming anyone, friendly, and the owner takes command of the animals immediately (recalls, etc.) and appologies for the intrusion, then I see no reason, other than your dislike of dogs in your space, to deny them the freedom of running about just like you are. Do I think that there are four star idiot dog owners out there, definitely yes, but there are people out there that are just as stupid and THEY don't require a leash on them all the time. LOL

When my dogs are on walking pathes, on sidewalks or in areas where traffic is a concern, they are always on a leash. But while on my property, at the off leash dog park, in a field, beside or in a lake, or on a hiking trail, my dogs are allowed to roam and run and swim off leash within a reasonable distance as long as they continue to prove to me that they recall 100%. And if a person gives me a 'stern look' as if we don't have equal rights to enjoy the great outdoors I will just smile and continue on my way, ignoring the unpleasantness. I too have had my share of unwanted dog attention, but I just accept that as a fact of life when living in a city, regardless of size.

Furbs
i said in this thread that i knew how to handle dogs off leash.
my pooch was always on leash.
but keep in mind i live in nyc
pretty cramped

this is all repeated..

as a courtesy its repeated

read the whole thread

its a biggy

lots here for all to chew

for those who learn from it, i succeeded.

that is all..

as responsible as can be

all i think i can do..

is try to keep bumping it...

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > Legislative and Regulatory