Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Euthanesia

Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #41
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Actually, during the dying process the body is no longer able to process food or fluids efficiently. If someone's organs are shutting down, an IV providing continuous fluids could cause the lungs to fill, pressure around the heart and the body to swell, and would only pronounce and prolong suffering. IV's make sense if someone is temporarily unable to take in adequate nutrition/fluids but will likely get better. NOT if they would make the situation worse. If I had cancer and was no longer hungry, I would not want someone forcing nutrition into me. If my kidneys were no longer working, I would not want fluids pumped into me that I could no longer get rid of.

Just food for thought
Thank you, Ann, for making that issue clearer. All that you said was true for my Mom. When my mother was at the end of her struggle with bone cancer, she no longer wanted food or water; just a little sponge in in glass to wet her mouth and lips. Her hospice nurses gave her the full legal limit of Morphine so she could sleep her last hours away.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #42
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

Ann - I wasn't thinking about all organs shutting down and that food/water wouldn't be processed. I was thinking about people that are in a vegetative state and possibly on a ventilator and can still process foods but are considered "dead" for the most part. *I don't know if you remember the woman that had the plug pulled on her a few years ago. It was all over the news. She had eye movement, and a few other things going for her, but was mainly vegetative. Her parents didn't want to give up, but the dr's ended up starving her to death.*

My step moms mother is basically dead right now. Last Friday night she passed out. Later found out it was a stroke. On the way to the hospital she stopped breathing for 8....yes 8...minutes before they revived her. They got her to the hospital, lost her one or two more times for about 2 or 3 minutes each and put her on a ventilator. Come to find out one lung is collapsed and the other is only working at 50% capacity and that, due to the 8 minutes out, she has extensive brain damage and no brain activity. The living will was found Sunday *I think* and it said she was a DNR. To little to late apparently. Two of the kids don't want to pull the plug but the rest say go with her wishes as to much has already been done. She would never have wanted to be revived after 8 minutes! They stopped the sedatives since she quit moving, blinking & talking (they didn't want her pulling tubes out) and are weaning her off the ventilator even though the KNOW she can't breathe on her own.

My question is this -- Is it right to wean someone off of a ventilator when that will only prolong their suffering? Shouldn't they turn it off since the will states she didn't want any of the things they did in the first place; and they know she has no brain activity and can't breathe on her own?
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #43
Furbilator
Been Around A While

That is so unfortunate that she didn't discuss her living will with her family and her doctor (that information would have been put in her file so she wouldn't have been put on a ventilator in the first place). But I think that we just have to accept the fact that in the absence of assistance, death may not always be the pain free and cognitively oblivious end we would wish it to be.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #44
2animalcomp2GerSheps
Been Around A While

A few years back my mother-in-law died of cancer. She suffered so much her last few months of her life. She lived in another state. I called her and talked to her. She would cry uncontrollably because of her pain. She begged to die. She had a hard time eating.. When I would talk to her, I would get so upset. She asked me why do I have to linger and suffer so much. When she was younger she was overweight. But she got down to skin and bones. She looked horrible. She had a jolly personality all her life. She was always joking and kidding around. To see that beautiful person end up like that, is just not right. I think there should be an euthanasia for people too. I hope I don't have to suffer like that, or anybody else I love.
2animalcomp2GerSheps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #45
doc2boc
Been Around A While

Lightbulb

when my dog got old and sickly

i made a pack with her

couldnt afford the expensive vet bills anymore

so i told her..

instead of wasting money on vet bills that prolly make yr life less comfortable

i will feed you all the food you luv

when you stop eating it

you will go down

so i bought all her fav foods

she inhaled it

she agreed to the deal

as she got sicker

she ate less and less

when she had a stroke

i put her down

her last meal was half a cheese burger

she left behind a ton of food that a starving child would gobble up

i wont get annother dog unless i could afford those vet bills

no more dogs fer me..
Everyone knows dog is God spelled backwards..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #46
LoveMyLabs
Been Around A While

She passed away around 12 hours after they took her off the ventilator. One of her sons said he had never seen her look so peaceful. The funeral was yesterday.
It's sad that she was forced to hang on for so long when she should have passed the first time (when the revived her after 8 minutes).
Tony, Kim, Gunner & Tira.
LoveMyLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #47
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyLabs View Post
She passed away around 12 hours after they took her off the ventilator. One of her sons said he had never seen her look so peaceful. The funeral was yesterday.
It's sad that she was forced to hang on for so long when she should have passed the first time (when the revived her after 8 minutes).
I think that we all feel the same and wish there was a way to help our human loved ones like we help our furbabies. I for one have made plans, after watching my Mom suffer and knowing I could inherit the disease I want to make sure I go with dignity. I have read through this thread again and again and the same thing comes up, why do we treat our furbabies better than their human counterparts??????. I don't get it, but I do understand the unwillingness to take a life I agree, but there are times when it is not taking a life it is giving our loved ones freedom. I know some will not agree, but I do know that all agree that there should be NO suffering in the final stages of our journey through this life. JMO. Hugs Susan
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion