Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories » Dogs have souls, but you already knew that

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Dogs have souls, but you already knew that

Dogs are full of natural goodness and have rich emotional lives, said animal behaviorist Marc Bekoff, professor emeritus at the University of Colorado, Boulder.

A dog's code of ethics is on display daily in parks, backyards and family rooms.

"We're not trying to elevate animals," Bekoff said. "We're not trying to reduce humans. We're not saying we're better or worse or the same. We're saying we're not alone in having a nuanced moral system."

Page, author of "Do Dogs Smile?," said biology no longer dismisses dogs and other animals as "furry automatons" driven by instinct and food.

"People like Bekoff have figured out how to measure these things," Page said. "It's a whole new ballgame for studying dog personalities and emotions."

Bekoff, co-author of "Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals," spent thousands of hours observing coyotes, wolves and dogs. He analyzed videotapes frame by frame. The work convinced him these animals possess empathy and compassion, the emotions upon which moral sense is built.

See the rest of the article...http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2009226383_dogs16.html?utm_source=Woof+Report+Dail y+Email&utm_campaign=ebf3d01d05-Woof_Report_May_27_20095_27_2009&utm_medium=email

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Good article, Ann. I couldn't agree more with the idea of canine ethics. My day to day observations of my dog and others' dogs tell me that their personalities are so varied that instinct is only a piece of who they are. I've seen some amazing behavior from my girl at the nursing home.
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
clser2thehrt
Been Around A While

I've had debates over whether animals have souls. I always win. Why would a dog "cry" when it is left alone, or in trouble, or needs to go out....etc.....if it didn't have feelings, and feelings come from deep inside THE SOUL! My little Sophie cries for EVER when she's in trouble, just because she probably thinks I don't love her (she always get's a "NO NO!" and gets put in the room or outside for a "time out"...lol. I always give in. She's so stinkin' cute! LOL.
clser2thehrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Corinthian
Been Around A While

JJ people don't get

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_hawes View Post
Dogs are full of natural goodness
They sound delicious.
Corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
JJ people don't get

They sound delicious.

Scoff all you want. I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
doc2boc
Been Around A While

whos kiddin who?

dogs are better than us
Everyone knows dog is God spelled backwards..
doc2boc is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Other Issues > News Stories