Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Euthanesia

Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
lavenderlil
Been Around A While

Question Euthanesia

What are your views on euthanesia?When do we think of this option or not.
lavenderlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
elsasmom
Been Around A While

MIMI: I make a promise to each new creature that I adopt. I promise that I will never let them suffer needlessly. If they are injured and can make a complete recovery with good quality of life, I will use all means to make them as comfortable as possible while they return to health. If however, their quality of life is gone, I make the hardest decision and hold them as they are humanely released from a joyless existence.
I have had to do this for a rat with cancer, a guinea pig born deformed and rejected by it's mother, a 13 year old cat with kidney failure who stopped eating, a 13 year old cat with inoperable cancer and a 17 year old cat who had a totally debilitating stroke and an old donkey dying from internal bleeding that couldn't be stopped.
I can hardly bear to think of the end of my dog's life, but I will keep my promise if Elsa June needs me to release her spirit one day. I think of euthanasia as the final act of love for a life of companionship.

Last edited by elsasmom : 07-07-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMI View Post
What are your views on euthanesia?When do we think of this option or not.
It's a nessesary option when a pet is at end of life or has no chance at recovery or a good quality of life.
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Furbilator
Been Around A While

That we give to our pets the blessing of a peaceful release from pain and suffering yet we cannot seem to give the same blessing to our human loved ones.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
elsasmom
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
That we give to our pets the blessing of a peaceful release from pain and suffering yet we cannot seem to give the same blessing to our human loved ones.
It is so true
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
hcromley
Been Around A While

if there in pain or suffering i think its the right thing to do

furbs - i totally agree 100%
great pyrenees lover
hcromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
When my Mom was dying a few months ago (and suffering I might add) I said the exact same thing. Having just put Gizmo and Rylie to sleep I even said to my priest why can we not help our human family to die with peace dignity and having no suffering. It is a question I guess we all have to deal with as pet owners, but I know that I have taken on the responsibility of having a loving friend and family member and I owe them the best that I can give to make sure that they are happy, healthy, loved and when the time comes assisted to the rainbow bridge with me there to see them off. JMO. Hugs Susan and Lexcee
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Momto3
Been Around A While

Euthanasia is something that should be offered to humans as easily as it is offered to dogs. I do not take the decision lightly at all. I have had three dogs I have had to pts...one with brain cancer at 14.5 years, one with Cushings who stopped eating and became half his normal size and lost control of his bodily functions, one who had stroke after stroke and didn't even know me anymore. She also had cancer and was incontinent at nearly 15 years old. I think euthanasia can be a blessing but all the right questions were asked of me before the vet did it. I try to my utmost with my dogs but when they quit trying I have to know it's their time. I have to let them be at peace. Last year I adopted an elder and he was/is a fighter. This little old soul has hung on and hung on at near 14 years old and barely able to walk but he is a fighter, he is happy, he is loved. He will let me know when I need to let him go. Or he will go on his own (hopefully). I hate the process.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
PudelGrl
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to PudelGrl
I have to agree with everyone here. I watched my great aunt suffer for her last six months of broken bones and internal bleeding from severe osteoporosis. While death may be sad for surrounding individuals, it is not fair for anyone to prolong suffering. While I have yet to have to make a tough choice for any of my dogs, I did have to do so for my horse years ago. It was extremely hard for me, but looking back it was defiantly the right thing.
PudelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
I agree with everyones posts...The only draw back to putting a person to sleep is the consious of the person doing it that is at stake, but then again what about the mental health of hospice people...having to be there with people dying all the time...Would euthanesia be considered murder or suicide somehow?

I think euthanesia of pets that are dying and suffering is the right thing to do...but its also the hardest choice ever to make.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion