Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training » Seperation Anxiety

Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Howler
Been Around A While

Seperation Anxiety

so we have just moved house a month ago, just before we moved we lost the lovely Boo, he had terminal cancer and we made the hard decision to let him go before he got too ill. Since i moved Charlie has been suffering from anxiety when he is alone, he is barking and messing in his crate and its starting to upset the neighbours.

i have tried praising him when he is left alone, leaving the radio on etc but nothing works. i have had several complaints about his barking while i am at work, i have a friend who walks him if im on a long shift so hes never on his own more than 4-5 hours. before we lost Boo and moved he was fine with this.

someone recommended a 'thundercoat' to me, and the reading i have done looks promising but i wondered if anyone else had any advice.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I've never used one on my own dogs but have seen them used on other dogs with great success. It's definitely worth a try.

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Howler
Been Around A While

day 2 of using the Thundershirt and ive had no poop and no barking, i did a test with him not wearing it to see whether it worked or it was just him getting used to being alone and he barked and pooped. Clearly for a dog like Charlie that is all about contact this is a good remedy to help him get settled, as soon as i put it on him he starts to snooze, so far so good.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
ann_hawes
Been Around A While

I'm so glad you're having success with it!

Silence is golden,
Duct tape is silver.
ann_hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

GOOD news! I have two I have to crate. One is destructive - one likes to start fights with the others. Don't like doing it but the alternative of coming home finding my couch in 3 different rooms or one of the elderlies dead doesn't appeal to me. Glad the shirt's working!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Canine Training > General Training