Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Found a dog yesterday

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABLOVER500 View Post
I don't agree with this. You can't just slap a collar on a dog and expect it to work without training and supervision.
I don't think I said otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABLOVER500 View Post
The collar may not have worked at that point when the dog wondered off, you dont know if the batteries were dead and didn't give the blip/beep warning not to cross the line. Dogs get out of their confinement and get lost, it happens, that's why they call it an accident.
And I respectfully disagree with this. An owner should not have to rely on a perimeter collar to confine their dog, what the collar is supposed to be used for is to condition/proof the dog not to go out of the yard. Its just a backup for training and shouldn't be a last resort when the dog is unsupervised...mainly because if an "accident" does happen, and particularly if it happens regularly, it makes all previous training a waste of time.

These kinds of collars are tools used for training. Period.
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

I've seen the dog since. I know that those people do zero training with their dogs, and this dog is just an unruly puppy that doesn't know anything, and that they did just slap a shock collar on her and left her out. Grr. I'm glad she's home, and she didn't have another shock collar on when I saw her dragging her owner on a walk. I passed by calmly with Cerb and Jas, and have offered them (for the 3rd time) any help. I hope they take me up on it.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
I don't think I said otherwise

And I respectfully disagree with this. An owner should not have to rely on a perimeter collar to confine their dog, what the collar is supposed to be used for is to condition/proof the dog not to go out of the yard. Its just a backup for training and shouldn't be a last resort when the dog is unsupervised...mainly because if an "accident" does happen, and particularly if it happens regularly, it makes all previous training a waste of time.

These kinds of collars are tools used for training. Period.
Well we all have our own opinions.
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
6dogmom
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to 6dogmom Send a message via MSN to 6dogmom
Everyone here knows how I feel about the shock collar. If it comes down to choice and there is no other way, then I feel they are ok.
On a puppy I don't think this is the way to go though. I wouldn't have thrown it away though cause those things cost a fortune. If it were me I would have taken the collar off and helped discuss other options, especially if the owner was nice.
I know if it weren't for my shock collar on Ty he would have gotten into trouble being a fence jumper. I have done everything in my power to keep him in including buying a six foot fence the highest allowed by ordinance. He still gets out. Gotta keep him safe some how.
6dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
elsasmom
Been Around A While

I agree with 6dogmom about safety first.

I used a shock collar on Elsa on occasion. I talked to my trainer and was told the brand (expensive) that would give the same shock each time at each level. I was instructed to read the manual, watch the video and then schedule a one on one with her before putting it on. My trainer then watched Elsa's response to give the appropriate correction. I live in the country on a busy highway. I used the collar to teach Elsa not to leave the yard by walking the 10 acres and showing her the limits of her area. Today, she is free in the yard without a collar whenever we're home and has never gone into the road. As my trainer said, "I'd rather knock her off her feet than see her hit by a truck".
I'd be extremely angry to find someone had stolen her collar and tossed it. Just because a dog is found with a shock collar on, doesn't mean they are untrained or have been abused. Elsa is testimony to that._Marie
Love me; Love my dog
elsasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

I've heard of one too many horrible situation of dogs that have had shock collars, so no matter if the situation warranted the use of one, I still would not recommend.

Citronella spray collar are much better for said situations. The positive punishment method in that case uses a sense that is far more developed in the dog, thus making it (theoretically) more effective.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 11-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Furbilator
Been Around A While

If you used a spray collar to help train perimeter for a dog where I live you had better pray it isn't windy, raining, or winter....they are crap in all those cases. Also, they can cause irritation in the eyes, nose and throat of some dogs causing allergic reactions.

Any training tool can be mis-used that is undeniable, however ignoring some of their benefits to both dog and owner is narrow minded. I do believe they should be a last resort tool, however it is better that these tools are used and used properly than a dog losing its life because it was hit by a vehicle, constantly in trouble, escaping or the owner giving up on the dog and euthanizing it.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Momto3
Been Around A While

Tis funny how my deaf/mute neighbors across the street have always had dogs better trained than mine! They had a poodle when I first moved in here. They could walk up and down the street with that poodle off-leash and he never wandered into the street. Mine? I know darn well if I leave the gate open they would run. Mozart did once but he only went to the neighbors' house to pee on their mailbox...wish I could do that. I really don't care for shock collars but I can see where it's needed in some circumstances. I have fencing all around the property and extra fencing to separate areas when I want the pooches to stay close to the house. But I only have 1/3 acre...maybe 1/2. Was expensive for just that little bit but anything to keep my babies safe. Except for 1st call in the a.m. they won't go out without me anyway. Open door, let dogs out, they line up on the porch waiting for me to join them! Spoilt rotten to the core I'm saying!
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
however ignoring some of their benefits to both dog and owner is narrow minded.
And ignoring the harm any P+ training technique can cause is equally narrow minded...if even a little foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbilator View Post
I do believe they should be a last resort tool, however it is better that these tools are used and used properly than a dog losing its life because it was hit by a vehicle, constantly in trouble, escaping or the owner giving up on the dog and euthanizing it.
ITA with that, in the end it falls into the preference of each person. P+ training methods/tools all work more or else in the same fashion, but its just important to realize that its not something you want to try right off the bat. But everything does have its place I guess.
-Steven

My dog blog - Dog Notes
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #20
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
What kind of shock collar was it? A training collar should NEVER be left on your dog. A bark collar? They are ok to leave on for short periods. Or there is the invisable fence kind. (apparently it failed?)

I use shock collars when training with Tigger, we had issues with recall. I had been training him since he was a puppy and he would blow me off, to the point it was a safty issue. I had my trainers show me how to train with it and we trained with it together. It is a tool to be used when you know how to use it.

When used correctly a shock collar is the same as having an invisable leash. And yes, I did test it on myself to see how bad it was...it is not fun but when a dogs life is in danger...id rather have trained on a shock collar than have my dog die.

I can call my border collie off of a herd of sheep now. He always gets rewarded and its now not a problem.

Another thing mentioned is the cost of one, they can cost from 100-300 bucks depending on the model( i would be pissed if somoene threw mine away)...ect.. but to me noone would EVER catch Tigger with his shock collar on because its only used in certain circumstances for a few mins at a time and then REMOVED...which are far and few in between now since he is very well controlled/behaved.

Dont diss shock collars because they are a usefull tool when used properly. I cannot stress that enough.

What makes me angry is when I see idiots using pinch collars, to make their dogs look tough...or let their dogs lean into them and let them chock themselves...or choak collars as well...I see those abused all the time.

Tigger actually gets happy and excited when he sees his shock collar because he knows he is going to go play or go to the fields...I would never harm my sweet fur baby...that includes him hurting himself because he rather chase a bird into a street with a car going 40 mph.

I think you did the right thing because it seems these people are abusing the collar or dont even know how to use it. Maybe you throwing it away will get the message across to them? I dont know...

Last edited by Shara : 11-27-2010 at 03:02 AM.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion