Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion » Found a dog yesterday

Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
CerbiesMom
Been Around A While

Found a dog yesterday

I found a dog running the road in front of my house yesterday. It had treed a cat by the time I found it. Poor thing had a shock collar. I took that off and took her to the vet to check for a chip. Luckily she had one. So I didn't have to take a cat-chasing dog home. Was I wrong to take the shock collar and chuck it in a dumpster? Obviously it isnt' working, the dog took the shock to get out of it's yard. Maybe this will get the people thinking about another solution. And she was just a puppy, too. I didn't have to put a leash on her, she just ran to my truck and jumped in.
The woman that owned her called me and thanked me for finding her. She sounded really nice. Didn't sound like somebody that would shock their dog.
CerbiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Shells_k
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerbiesMom View Post
I found a dog running the road in front of my house yesterday. It had treed a cat by the time I found it. Poor thing had a shock collar. I took that off and took her to the vet to check for a chip. Luckily she had one. So I didn't have to take a cat-chasing dog home. Was I wrong to take the shock collar and chuck it in a dumpster? Obviously it isnt' working, the dog took the shock to get out of it's yard. Maybe this will get the people thinking about another solution. And she was just a puppy, too. I didn't have to put a leash on her, she just ran to my truck and jumped in.
The woman that owned her called me and thanked me for finding her. She sounded really nice. Didn't sound like somebody that would shock their dog.
I would of done the same thing with the shock collar. You are such a good person, and yes good thing it was micro chipped!!!!

Shells, Jessie, Sugar Booger,
Abby, Molly, Oreo & Puff
.. )) -::-
. .))
((. .. -::-
-::- ((.*
Shells_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
cockermom93
Been Around A While

Send a message via Skype™ to cockermom93
I think you did the right thing by throwing it away too. Some people don't understand how much Shock actually goes into those things... I think everyone who is thinking of buying one should have to put it on their own necks before purchasing it. I bet that would get a few to think twice at least. They'll probably just buy a new collar and stick it right back on the dog but at least they will be out that expence...
Love your pets like theres no tomarrow!!

www.myspace.com/allpawsbigandsmall

http://www.youtube.com/user/spanielmom93
come watch and comment on my videos!
cockermom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
turfgirl
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to turfgirl
Would have done the same thing, hope she does not go and get another one to me they are just horrid things. Good job and thanks from all pet loving people. You were pro active and helped get a pet home to her mommy. Hugs Susan and the Turf Gan
turfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Momto3
Been Around A While

Not a fan of shock collars but the lsdy probably will go buy another cause her intial thought will probably be that the pooch somehow got it off and that's how it got away. Poor baby.
Sharon - Mom to Mozart, Monte, Merlin and Mylee! my boyz!
Momto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

Are you sure it was a shock collar and not a collar for an underground fencing system? I personally would be pissed if someone chucked a collar, especially if it was for an underground system. JMO.
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Furbilator
Been Around A While

I have to agree with LabLover, although I'm not in favour of their use for training purposes, they are great lifesavers for dogs on unfenced property like a farm or acreage. I know several of my friends who own farms use the fencing collars to train their dogs on their perimeter. Once trained the dog doesn't wander onto the roadways get run over or chase after stock, wildlife and get into serious trouble. Usually most dogs once trained don't have to have the collar on shock because they KNOW that their area is only to X point. A fence on a very large piece of property isn't always feacible and the fence collars are a great and safe choice. And unlike training collars, these fence collars allow the dog 100% control on being shocked.

I don't beleive in tying dogs up as too many have had dangerous results - hangings- happened to our family dog before I was born and to my neighbours dog who luckily survived because I saw it in trouble, can't run away from harm, gets all tangled up, injured or just plain uncomfortable, etc.
All messages have been lab tested and approved!
Furbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Jr_K9_Expert
Been Around A While

Send a message via AIM to Jr_K9_Expert
Thats great that you found the owner! If it really was a shock collar then good riddance. Whatever it was it obviously didn't work. What that owner needs is training not a collar
-Steven

My dog article site - K9Domain
My dog blog - Dog Notes
Jr_K9_Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
LABLOVER500
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_K9_Expert View Post
If it really was a shock collar then good riddance. Whatever it was it obviously didn't work. What that owner needs is training not a collar
I don't agree with this. You can't just slap a collar on a dog and expect it to work without training and supervision. The collar may not have worked at that point when the dog wondered off, you dont know if the batteries were dead and didn't give the blip/beep warning not to cross the line. Dogs get out of their confinement and get lost, it happens, that's why they call it an accident. I agree with collars (personally my dogs have never had to wear them because I'm very proactive with their training), but there has to be due diligence in working with the dog using the collar.
LABLOVER500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
dogbuddy
New Around Here

Thumbs up

Good job! Just like what the fellas here said, I would have done the same thing that you did. It was also fortunate for the dog because you were the one who saved her
dogbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > K9 Mania Dog Park > General Discussion