Click here to Register

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment » illusion collar?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
sbeau66
Been Around A While

illusion collar?

has anyone tried the cezar milan illusion collar? does it work to stop pulling? i'd be interested to hear anyones views??
rescue labs are lovely,mad and pip,,x
sbeau66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
BetterDog4U
Been Around A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau66 View Post
has anyone tried the cezar milan illusion collar? does it work to stop pulling? i'd be interested to hear anyones views??
It is NOT designed to "stop" pulling. It is only designed to keep the leash up on the neck closer to the dog's ears. This gives more control than having it down around the shoulders.

Having more control can help, but the dog still needs to know where you want it to walk.

I taught Neka by making her stay next to my left knee. Then I walked slowly (one step every 5 seconds) turning to my left. As i turned, I said, "Heel" ... Each time i took a step i rewarded her for staying next to my leg. If she went to far ... I called her back to my side and made her sit before rewarding her. I did 3-4 sessions a day for about 5 minutes each. Then I did the sane thing but i turned right. Within 3 days, she had it pretty well. She is doing much better on walks, and she only pulls a few times (right at the beginning) before she remembers what to do.

No, I dont have an Illousion Colar ... i just use a slip-lead.

NOTE: Ive been trying ideas from many trainers for a lot of years, but i seem to always go back to Joel Silverman. I have been using many of his methods since 1992. You may have seen his TV show on Animal Planet. Its called Good Dog U. He has a website called Companions For Life at http://www.companionsforlife.net/ If you go to the bottom of the page, you will find 3 videos about teaching the Heel command. This is EXACTLY how i do it!!!

BTW, I also have a breif article on the "Better Dog 4U" site with step-by-step instructions. Just click on the banner below and go to "articles".

Last edited by BetterDog4U : 03-20-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
- Michael -

Full of Life ... and Herself - Visit PATCHS' Website
Loving Friend & Faithful Companion - Visit NEKA's Memorial Website
My Little Buddy for 15+ Years - Visit CHIP's Memorial Website
BetterDog4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Corinthian
Been Around A While

There is nothign special about this collar except it allows you to exert less pressure to choke the dog. I think because the handler has to apply less pressure to obtain the same amount of discomfort on the dog, it gives people the illusion that they are being kinder.
Corinthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Shara
Been Around A While

Send a message via MSN to Shara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
There is nothign special about this collar except it allows you to exert less pressure to choke the dog. I think because the handler has to apply less pressure to obtain the same amount of discomfort on the dog, it gives people the illusion that they are being kinder.
Very well said. I agree.
~Meredith
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥
Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
gsdmama
Been Around A While

i keep joey and elsa pinch high on the neck. they are more sensitive around the ears. they are stronger lower on the neck. same techinque as cesar uses.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
grizzle
Been Around A While

Better dog said it right and yes they are great. I've used one for almost a year now and like it even better than the prong collar for most dogs. It causes absolutely no harm or pain to your dog
If dogs could train humans it would be a perfect world!!!
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
Labman
Been Around A While

I haven't used one. It looks to me like a piece of equipment designed to work with older harsh methods.

Proper heeling is about technique, not equipment.

You should stay with a flat fabric or leather collar until your puppy is 5 months old. Then you can go with the metal slip collar with the rings on each end. Otherwise you could damage its windpipe. Put it on like this for the usual dog on the left position. Pull the chain through the one ring forming a "P". Facing the dog, slip it over its head. The free end comes over the neck allowing the other end to release pressure when the leash is slack. A five month old's head will still grow some. If you buy one that easily goes over the head, it still should come off leaving the ears when the dog finishes growing. You need a good 6' leather leash, although you may not want to give a young puppy a chance to chew it.

Easier dogs will give up their pulling with a few good snaps of the leash combined with a stern "Bad dog!". You can work up to forceful corrections with the leash doubled up in both hands and your whole body behind it. But you don't want to use any more force than you need. One gentle technique I like is to just stop when he pulls. He wants to go. If you move forward when the leash is slack, and stop when he pulls, he should quickly figure out the only way to get to go, is not to pull. This is about teaching him not to pull, not getting somewhere. The man that taught it to me said "If in a half hour you haven't made it out to the front walk, fine, you have taught him a lesson. Pulling the dog backwards is a good technique too.

If you do decide you need better equipment, try a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. The prong collar is now a dangerous relic of value only for its macho looks. Do not consider using one without hands on instruction from somebody with plenty of experience with them.
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
gsdmama
Been Around A While

ok if you have seen cesar show, he always tells the owners to have the collar up high around the ears. just like in the show rings. they put the collar up high. he created this collar for that reason. dogs are more sensitive higher up on the neck. they are stronger lower on the neck. i tried and use this technique on both joey and elsa. it is funny, if the collar is lower on their neck they don't respond as well than if the collar is up higher. when i place their collar up higher their demeanor changes. it is great. the one thing is, is that you have to keep moving your collar up every so often. on the illusion collar you don't. i have seen it but have not used it.
rest in peace my little Nikko. until we meet again. momma misses you and her heart aches every time she thinks of you, wishing you were still here to play with Joey and Elsa.
gsdmama is offline   Reply With Quote

K9Mania.com - Forums By Dog Lovers for Dog Lovers > Active Dogs > Accessories & Equipment